Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge adapter overheated warning on screen today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone with this warning might want to inspect their 14-50 (or other) receptacle.

Lots of threads about bad receptacles, even good ones could be wired poorly with insulation trapped in the connections.

I couldn't agree with this more. Have seen multiple cases where the stranded cable typically used in 14-50 or sometimes even 10-30 plugs becomes loose in the lugs of the receptacle, leading to overheating the plug/wire and melting the receptacle. This type of arc-spark failure doesn't typically overload the breaker and can happen over long periods of time, so the breaker doesn't trip unless it has melted the wire insulation or receptacle plastic to cause a fault. Sometimes the first warning you'll get is just the smell of burning plastic letting the magic smoke out.

Check the tightness of those receptacle lugs periodically, especially if it is in an area that sees temperature extremes.

• Informative
Reactions: darth_vad3r
I have had the same message today in Blackpool UK. Temp only 10. I am only using the tesla charger that comes with the car. Today I have used a Tesla Supercharger for the first time. I have had the car 7 weeks. I am wodering about a full reboot.
This string has gone on for a long time, Has no one come up with an answer.

had this happen to me last night. it was probably around 90°. the vehicle was inside a garage, with the door open. the box part of the charger didn't feel any warmer than usual. I ended up unplugging it and letting it cool down and plugged it back in later.

NXYnjOr.jpg

does anyone know if the wall connectors have better "temperature range" than the mobile?
Having similar issue last few days.

Happens to mine all the time when I charge on a NEMA in Phoenix. The box is outside and I have to expose the cable to the sun to get it inside the garage. It resumes charging when it cools down.
Ok makes me feel bit better still definitely not great. My mobile charger is inside garage but Aug/Sep are the hottest months and my garage is near constant 90 degrees. Should start cooling down in 3/4 weeks.

Something does appear to changed recently. Over 2 years of charging with the mobile connector in the last week dropping down to 16 amps. With a temperature overheating message. I would also initially think it was either dirty connections or a change in the way the EVSE is exposed to the sun and or summer heat but neighbor whose Model 3 that is only 10 months old is experiencing the same thing as of the last week.

It truely appears that a change to the heat tolerances was changed.

I'm in central Texas where temps have been in the very high 90's over the past couple of months and in my garage sometimes over 100° and I've never experienced any such error messages or warnings and my wall charger is pretty steady at 32 amps.

I'm in central Texas where temps have been in the very high 90's over the past couple of months and in my garage sometimes over 100° and I've never experienced any such error messages or warnings and my wall charger is pretty steady at 32 amps.
Me either up until this week and the ambient temperature was 72-74 degrees. The plug was warm but not hot. Maybe its a faulty code in that its actually another issue but its not reflecting properly.
Just odd both my neighbors and mine EVSE's started to have the same issue at the same time.
Maybe a power surge in the neighborhood damaged them?

Me either up until this week and the ambient temperature was 72-74 degrees. The plug was warm but not hot. Maybe its a faulty code in that its actually another issue but its not reflecting properly.
Just odd both my neighbors and mine EVSE's started to have the same issue at the same time.
Maybe a power surge in the neighborhood damaged them?
I've had a couple of black-outs here in CTX, and each time I had to flip the breaker off and back on again and my charging issue was solved.

I was getting this adapter overheat warning during long charging sessions on and off for a while now and finally got fed up with it. When the electrician came to install my wall connector he said everything was installed to code but my 40amp low-profile breakers were right next to my home A/C breakers. The overheating makes sense now since we run the A/C the most at night to cool down the house during off-peak rates. He was able to move some circuits around and how I can charge at 48amps with no alerts.

Hopefully that helps someone out if your EVSE and a/c circuits are next to each other.

I was at a 150 KW supercharger yesterday while making my latest video, and when I was done the end of the SC cable was indeed hot, but I got no warnings on my in car screen. This must be something in the standard charge adapter itself.
Supercharging and home charging are totally different things. Home charging, the charger is in your car. Supercharging, the charger is at the station.

When supercharging, temperature control is done by the station itself and it will slow down the charge to the car but it won't say anything. Since home charging is done by the car, the car is telling you that it's slow down charging because it thinks the cable/adapter is too hot.

Reactions: Rocky_H and DOOLMTR
I got 28.3.1 last week, and today was the first time I ever saw this warning notice. I wonder how new of a warning it is. I had my 3 charging on its usual 240 volts 32 amps, and I had it on for about 2 hours. I went out to the car to get something, and noticed on the screen that it was only charging at 16 amps and it had this on the screen. The charge plug wasn't hot at all, but the box on the charging cable was warm all over.

Maybe Tesla changed the temperature limits for considering it to be overheating? I've been using this EVSE for 15 months and it has always worked fine. I've charged in warmer weather, so that shouldn't be the cause.

View attachment 447207
I am having same issue with my mod Y. Did you get problem resolved? How?