Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Android/Blackberry via Micro USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought others may be interested in this solution. I have an Android phone and not an iPhone so I bought this CableJive dockBoss+: Smart USB and Audio Adapter Cable for iPod or iPhone Dockshttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0065JUZT6/ref=wms_ohs_product

I connected the iPod/iPhone connector to it and stuffed put the majority of the cable in the center console.

I don't have a great picture at the moment.
CableJive.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not difficult to change that iPhone cable. Behind the rubber "pad" there's one screw, remove that and then you can lift off the upper center console piece; tip it to one side so it comes unclipped and it will come out. That iPhone cable just has a USB on the other end (at least on the 2.5 Roadster it does). You can swap it out for the phone adapter of your choice.

(A Ranger told me how to do that so I could swap it out for one that just push-fixes to the phone and you don't need to fiddle with the side-buttons lock.)

It's not difficult to change that iPhone cable. Behind the rubber "pad" there's one screw, remove that and then you can lift off the upper center console piece; tip it to one side so it comes unclipped and it will come out. That iPhone cable just has a USB on the other end (at least on the 2.5 Roadster it does). You can swap it out for the phone adapter of your choice.

(A Ranger told me how to do that so I could swap it out for one that just push-fixes to the phone and you don't need to fiddle with the side-buttons lock.)

I just tried this and ended up back here.

I removed the screw behind the rubber pad (allen wrench needed). Now the lower (not upper) console piece is loose, but it still seems attached below the seat heater buttons. I tried pulling and tilting and twisting as much as I dared, but could even get that piece off, much less the upper center console.

Is there some trick? Mine's a 2.5, if that matters.

I'm feuding w/ Apple so a friend gave me a Galaxy S3 to replace my iPhone. Can one of you tell me how long the cable needs to be from the female USB to the rubber pad? I'd rather not have to stuff 6' of cable under the console when 1' will do.

Thanks!

I found that Ipod pod holder thing to be useless and annoying, actually dangerous since your taking your eyes off the road. For my phone/Galaxy S3 solution I picked up a USB charger for the 12v accessory, a window sticky mount so I can put the phone in the dead lower center of the front windshield where I can actually see and safely control it, and a 3.5 audio cable, 1.5ft. that runs from my phones headphone jack to my Blaupunkt 3.5 Aux in jack. Works great. I use Waze GPS social maps on my phone so having the phone up in the window is ideal, if you have the S3 I highly recommend since it has a big screen unless you have another solution. I also have Pandora / MP3s playing from my phone to the head unit.

Phone Mount:
Amazon.com: phone holder window mount

Mine I believe is the 1st one listed, I'm sure there're better ones out there now.

USB charge Socket:
Amazon.com: usb 12v charger socket

I have a single socket with an LED. Don't worry about the LED being on, the car will sleep and shut off the 12V port which shuts off the LED. Just keep in mind to not pull more amps than that 12V socket is rated for, think you should be ok since USB is a low draw.
That ipod charger / hookup never worked right for me in the 1st place, never charged my ipod touch nor allowed it to play any music. It allowed my older Nano to play but not charge, said the charger wasn't supported or some BS like that.

Last edited:
I found that Ipod pod holder thing to be useless and annoying, actually dangerous since your taking your eyes off the road.
Thanks for your input. The Alpine unit on my 2.5 has worked perfectly w/ my iPhone 4. I browse music and make/accept calls through the stereo so I'm never looking down. I don't text or e-mail and the Alpine unit has GPS so never need to look down. The Roadster is so noisy I rarely use my phone anyway. I like the cradle. So, anyone know how long the cable is? :)

I bought a 12" right-angle micro USB cable from amazon to charge my Z10 (plug is on the side).
Amazon.com: StarTech 1ft Micro USB Cable - A to Micro B (UUSBHAUB1): Electronics

It's pretty easy to replace. Remove the rubber pad below the "D". Underneath is a screw (can't remember if it's torx or allen). Then you can slide the part that holds your phone up and back. Follow the angle where it meets the back under the e-brake. Don't pull too far or you'll yank out the TC plug wires. Under there you'll see the female USB from the stereo. Unplug the Apple USB, plug in your micro USB cable, and route the wire through the cradle as you reinstall it.