Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OK to use 16V aux outlet to charge iPhone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I plug this device (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0773BYS6P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) into the aux socket in the console it reads 15.1 volts. My 2023 model Y has a 16V low voltage battery. Is it ok to plug a USB cable into this device to charge my iPhone?
Yes, I know the car has a wireless charger but my case is too thick for it to work
Yes, I know there are usb-c outlets but my charger cord is usb-a (or "regular") usb.

I’m sure it’ll be just fine. I’ve never heard of anyone frying anything out of those outlets. I use an F40C4TMP electric cooler that displays voltage, and I usually see 14.5-15.1v from the rear.

I use those outlets like I do in every other cars. My 12v compressor works great with them.

Reactions: theothertom
You can buy a bunch of USB C lightning cables for less than that adapter. It will also charge faster on USB C than that cigarette lighter adapter.

But to answer your question, it’s fine. The whole purpose of that adapter is to convert the input voltage, whatever it is, to the output voltage of 5V.
Look for an L shaped one so it is flush against the back of the console.

Android here, I bought a long C to C cable so I can charge my tablet but it's long enough that it means the kids can use the tablet in any seat, or hanging off the back of the front seat. I also keep an anything to anything adapter to use when I have iOS passengers.

It works brilliantly. I bought a red fabric cable to make it easier to find between the seats where I keep it. If it was black it would disappear.

Reactions: theothertom