Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge At vs Scheduled Departure [BUG?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I consistantly have my car to charge from 0030 each night until SoC = 90%, which usually works fine for me.

A few days ago I changed the settings to "Scheduled departure" to 100% as I was going on a long trip. I scheduled the departure time to 1800, with the car at 70% I calculated the car might start charging at around 1300. However, when I got up that morning (c. 0800) the car had still charged starting at 0030, but to 100%.

It's the second time this has happened - The car seems to remember BOTH the Scheduled departure AND charge at timings, and activates charging for both - Any ideas if this is a bug or am I being stupid (PICNIC)?

Hi guys,

I consistantly have my car to charge from 0030 each night until SoC = 90%, which usually works fine for me.

A few days ago I changed the settings to "Scheduled departure" to 100% as I was going on a long trip. I scheduled the departure time to 1800, with the car at 70% I calculated the car might start charging at around 1300. However, when I got up that morning (c. 0800) the car had still charged starting at 0030, but to 100%.

It's the second time this has happened - The car seems to remember BOTH the Scheduled departure AND charge at timings, and activates charging for both - Any ideas if this is a bug or am I being stupid (PICNIC)?
Paraphrased from the manual, page 170:

Charging aims to complete before 6am, even if scheduled departure time is later in order to take advantage of overnight charging rates. If the battery is at the target level the scheduled departure will only precondition the battery and cabin.

Long standing gripe.. add it to the pile along with cruise control surging up to the current speed limit regardless of how fast you're going, lack of gapless playback, etc.

06:00 is hardcoded in the car. No idea why, perhaps because California electricity tariffs are best around that time?

"Scheduled Departure" time, sadly, relates to preconditioning of the cabin/battery, not for charging.

Last edited:
Paraphrased from the manual, page 170:

Charging aims to complete before 6am, even if scheduled departure time is later in order to take advantage of overnight charging rates. If the battery is at the target level the scheduled departure will only precondition the battery and cabin.

I think the OP wants to know then if off-peak starts at 00:30 by coincidence. Maybe a way to test this would be to change the starting time to something else then schedule a departure time to see if it still starts at 00:30.

This feature may not be a bug as it is stated within the manual, but like some other foibles of the car, it is not the most thought out implementation, especially if the user sets the max charge limit to 100%. A better way would be to charge to as much as possible within the off-period up to 90%, then complete to 100% just prior to departure time.

Long standing gripe.. add it to the pile along with cruise control surging up to the current speed limit regardless of how fast you're going

OMG... Completely agree, it is the biggest complaint I have against this car. Why can't cruise control be implemented like every other car manufactured? People following me on the motorway must think I drive like a d**k especially when the car decides it wants to automatically change the cruise control speed limit by itself!

Reactions: Durzel