Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge By Solar Not Showing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Hoping i'm missing something simple here. I noticed i'm not seeing Charge By Solar as an option in the app or on my car and I think i should be seeing it.

I have the following setup:

Tesla Solar & Powerwall with PW running 23.12.10 software
2023 Tesla Model Y running 2023.26.1
Tesla App version 4.23.2-1815

I'm in SoCal (SCE PRIME NEM 2.0) and i don't have any sort of export restrictions. When i look at the app right now i'm generating 9.8kw of energy with 2.6kw going to my home and 7.2kw going to the grid. Car is plugged in and at 70% charged, with the only limit i can set to 80%. I'm not seeing hte three dots by the charge limit in the app.

Any other settings i should look at to try to get this to work? Thanks for any help in advance, i'm not sure what to try next.

Reactions: Jones1 and evtifosi
It seems that it takes about 1 day before the Charge on Solar option appears on the app. My Model Y already updated to 2023.26.1 back on 7/21. My Powerwall was updated to 23.12.10 last night. Then I updated my Android app to 4.23.2-1815 right after but no Charge on Solar option. Check my app again this morning still no avail. Just now I checked it again and there it is.

Reactions: Jones1 and h2ofun
It seems that it takes about 1 day before the Charge on Solar option appears on the app. My Model Y already updated to 2023.26.1 back on 7/21. My Powerwall was updated to 23.12.10 last night. Then I updated my Android app to 4.23.2-1815 right after but no Charge on Solar option. Check my app again this morning still no avail. Just now I checked it again and there it is.
So far I am not seeing this is worth much. Shall see if I Get inputs back from Tesla since the rep did not know answers to what he said were my fair questions. Just not being able to use more than one GW at a time is not documented.

Reactions: Jones1
Thanks for that info. I'm still not seeing it in my app, but hopefully that changes at some point soon.

Just a quick update for the thread, Charge By Solar is still not showing up for me. Powerwall has updated to 23.12.11, but other than that nothing has changed.

I opened a ticket with support and will post what they say, just in case it helps anybody else on this issue in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
So far I am not seeing this is worth much. Shall see if I Get inputs back from Tesla since the rep did not know answers to what he said were my fair questions. Just not being able to use more than one GW at a time is not documented.

If it works like it should, it will save either 10% on the PW round trip or NBCs. If you're utility doesn't charge you NBCs, like PG&E does, and you don't use your PW for time shifting, then there is no benefit.

Of course, after i post this all of a sudden Charge By Solar is now showing up in the app. I didn't do anything, it just magically appeared.

The settings for this are a little strange though. It looks like you have to set your "charge via anything" setting to something lower than the "Charge By Solar" setting. So i set mine to 70% by charge from any source and 80% to "Charge by Solar". I wish it would let me just set it to 80% for both, but it doesn't seem like that is an option.

It also added a new graph for the car's energy usage in the Energy Reports section.

Reactions: jgleigh
If you set them both to 80%, isn't that effectively like turning off Charge on Solar?
It wouldn't be for our use case. We drive a good amount in the morning, but then have the car home in the middle of the day, then back out again in the evening. i'd think a lot of people who are still doing work from home would be in a somewhat similar situation. It's not a deal breaker, or a huge deal really, it would be just nice if you could do it