Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge cable plug dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm awaiting delivery of my CPO Model S, and working on having a 14-50 outlet professionally installed inside my garage. There will be times that I need to park the Tesla in the driveway (outside the garage) and I'm thinking of creating a pass-through in my garage wall run to cable from the outlet inside to the car out in the driveway. I found this (and similar) ports that are used for RVs, and I'm thinking of installing this in my exterior garage wall.
316CD4GwecL._SY450_.jpg

According to a review, the dimensions of the pass-though are:
Cutout: 3-1/2”
Outside: 5-1/8”
Collar Depth: 2-3/8”​

So my question is, will the charge "handle" fit through this opening? Will the cable lay in the little cable trap-door at the bottom?

Thanks.

My 1st generation Tesla High Power Wall Connector ("HPWC") plug is 1*5/8" x 1-1/2" elliptical shape so it looks like it would easily fit though the port you showed above.

I'm not sure if the Tesla UMC plug is the same size. Mine is buried in my trunk since I only use it when I charge at Level 2 EV plugs... which is almost never since the Level 2 EV charge rates are SO slow. 100% of our local charging is via our 80A / 240V Tesla HPWC, 95% of our "road trip" charging is at Tesla Superchargers, and 5% via destination chargers (last one being 80A / 240V Tesla HPWC at La Quinta Inn in San Diego).