Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Current Changed On It’s Own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else have their “charge current” selection change on its own when charging at home with the HPWC?

I’ve only had this happen twice in over a year, but both times have been recent. The car is scheduled to start charging at midnight and I wake up and the charge current has changed to 13a. Once I go into the charging screen I can manually change it back to 48a and all is good.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hoowzer
Is the charge port light orange when it has done that? I think the 13A symptom may go with if people haven't gotten the plug solidly all the way into the charge port, and the car was not able to properly latch onto it, so it pulls back the amps a lot to be very cautious about a not fully inserted plug.

Is the charge port light orange when it has done that? I think the 13A symptom may go with if people haven't gotten the plug solidly all the way into the charge port, and the car was not able to properly latch onto it, so it pulls back the amps a lot to be very cautious about a not fully inserted plug.

I didn’t even look at the charge port. Just went in the car, made the change and all was good. I’ll definitely look at that next time though. Thanks for the heads up.

The user does not get an option to change the amps when using a Supercharger, so I don't know what you're talking about. Something isn't right there.
Sorry. I meant my next charge at home after supercharging. I was able to change the amps on my first charge at home right after supercharging. I don't charge every day and have only supercharged three times in three months. For at least the last two, on my next charge at home on my HPWC I noticed the reduced charge rate and had to simply up it back on the in-car screen. The second time I did it I used the Stats app since I was checking it from my bedroom.

I've had the same drop to 13A as well, twice. Both times were about a month or two ago. There was another thread around then. Today I noticed mine set itself to 36. I'm always able to re-up it and I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in tight.

I've had the same drop to 13A as well, twice. Both times were about a month or two ago. There was another thread around then. Today I noticed mine set itself to 36. I'm always able to re-up it and I'm pretty sure everything is plugged in tight.

I just had it happen again two nights ago. Everything was plugged in tight and charging resumed at full speed once I changed the setting back to 48a.

The car will drop the current when it sees what it believes are excessive voltage drops in an attempt to prevent a meltdown/fire.

If that has happened in the same place multiple times, I'd go check the wiring carefully.

Watch the car load the line and see how big the voltage drop actually is, too.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H