TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Charge Model S 12V battery from ICE

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Thiago, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Thiago

Thiago S75D

Hello all,

So I went on holiday and vampire drain brought the car to complete zero, including the 12V battery.

Now, long story short, I can access the 12V battery through the frunk but only have a jumpstart cable to connect to a ICE car, like you would do on a ICE to ICE jumpstart.

Question: am I completely mad to attempt to jumpstart my 2017 MS 12V battery from a ICE 12V battery using a standard jumpstart cable?

Thanks

2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

It will work fine. Hopefully you know how to open the frunk with a dead 12 volt battery. You don't need the ICE to be running. As long as the Tesla battery hasn't developed a shorted call the car will come alive as soon as the connection is made Open a Tesla door to keep the car alive and then disconnect the jumper cable. The Tesla HVB will charge the 12 volt battery.

My preference is to connect a smart battery charger, that knows what an AGM battery is, and use it to fully charge the 12 volt battery while the car sleeps.

3. Thiago

Thiago S75D

I will need to plug the car as soon as I can see open the charging port because at the moment, they are both dead.

4. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

The HVB is not dead. Without 12 volts it is completely disconnected from the car by contactors. It is below the minimum to charge the 12 volt battery however.

5. Thiago

Thiago S75D

I just thought I'd share my experience here... A bit.
    So I plugged the cables onto the 12v battery of my MS and on my girlfriend's Polo and voilà, it charged just like I was hoping.
    Can't deny it was not a bit apprehensive but in the end I was able to charge the 12v battery enough to open the car and move it to a charging location.
    A call to the insurance would have resulted in around 100 euros. But instead it was just the cost of the cable.
    Well, because I didn't find any other thread with this problem, I thought better to share.
    Au revoir

• Like x 1