Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Model S 12V battery from ICE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

So I went on holiday and vampire drain brought the car to complete zero, including the 12V battery.

Now, long story short, I can access the 12V battery through the frunk but only have a jumpstart cable to connect to a ICE car, like you would do on a ICE to ICE jumpstart.

Question: am I completely mad to attempt to jumpstart my 2017 MS 12V battery from a ICE 12V battery using a standard jumpstart cable?

Thanks

It will work fine. Hopefully you know how to open the frunk with a dead 12 volt battery. You don't need the ICE to be running. As long as the Tesla battery hasn't developed a shorted call the car will come alive as soon as the connection is made Open a Tesla door to keep the car alive and then disconnect the jumper cable. The Tesla HVB will charge the 12 volt battery.

My preference is to connect a smart battery charger, that knows what an AGM battery is, and use it to fully charge the 12 volt battery while the car sleeps.

I just thought I'd share my experience here... A bit.
So I plugged the cables onto the 12v battery of my MS and on my girlfriend's Polo and voilà, it charged just like I was hoping.
Can't deny it was not a bit apprehensive but in the end I was able to charge the 12v battery enough to open the car and move it to a charging location.
A call to the insurance would have resulted in around 100 euros. But instead it was just the cost of the cable.
Well, because I didn't find any other thread with this problem, I thought better to share.
Au revoir

I just thought I'd share my experience here... A bit.
So I plugged the cables onto the 12v battery of my MS and on my girlfriend's Polo and voilà, it charged just like I was hoping.
Can't deny it was not a bit apprehensive but in the end I was able to charge the 12v battery enough to open the car and move it to a charging location.
A call to the insurance would have resulted in around 100 euros. But instead it was just the cost of the cable.
Well, because I didn't find any other thread with this problem, I thought better to share.
Au revoir
>>>
Could you please share how you got access to the 12 v battery

Rgds

Deb

I

I have a facelift model S. When you open the drunk, you'll see a plastic cover near the windshield. Start popping it out and the 12C battery will be lurking in.
Thank you Thiago. I tried but then ended up seeing another cover I am guessing i need to remove that to get access tot he battery.

I saw this video on youtube. May be you can confirm if this will work. I have a Facelift Model S 75d