Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Point calculation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this and I can't figure out how getting 0.2 kW/hr dispensed at a cost of 15¢ per kW/hr cost 86¢. Here is Charge Points explanation but I can't figure it out unless somehow the 19 minutes I was plugged in somehow has to be figured in. Can someone tell me how this makes sense?

"The stations at the station are configured for hourly parking fee as well as a fee for the energy dispensed by the station, this station give you the benefit of not being billed for the parking for the first 2hrs after the second hour you will need to pay $2.00 per hour thereafter, the energy cost if $0.15/kWh this means that for every Kilowatt of energy dispensed by the station the fee will be $0.15, during your session on 2016-09-03 (CDT) the session lasted 00:19:04 during this session 0.204 /kWh were dispensed by the station generating the fee of $0.86.

I think they gave you the wrong figure for the number of kWh that your vehicle used during the charging session.

If we assume they are correct in that the charge is $0.15 per kWh, that your total was $0.86, and that your session was 19:04 mm:ss, let's calculate the charging rate in kW:

$ divided by $/kWh = kWh, so $0.86 / $0.15/kWh = 5.73 kWh.

kWh / h = kW, so 5.73 kWh / (19/60 + 4/3600) = 18.04 kW.

An 18 kW (or approximate) charging rate is the rate you would get on an HPWC (or high-power J1772) with dual chargers on a classic model S (80A) or with the high-amperage charger upgrade on the refreshed model S (72A).

It's somewhat rare for a public AC charging station to have an output this high. Dual chargers or high-amp charger upgrade are also not very common options on a model S. Yet you also did not mention Chademo or DCFC, so I don't think you were charging on one of those. This charging rate would be low for a DCFC anyway.

How much charge did the car say you received? 5.73 kWh should have gotten you an increase of about 7% of the battery on an 85, or about 20 rated miles.

What charging station were you at? We can look it up on PlugShare and confirm what it's charging rate is supposed to be.

You were charged for parking and for charging. .2 kWh @ $.15 per kWh would be $.03.

We only know the parking fee AFTER 2 hours, but the fee is usually higher for the first hour. If it were $2, then you were charged $.033 per minute, or $.63 for the 19 minutes you were there, for a total charge of $.66. The additional charge was probably for a higher parking rate for the first hour.

Hello RUPNOK,

The best way to get feedback on ChargePoint pricing is to call our 24x7 line 1-888-758-4389 or [email protected], so that we can address each case.

I have been informed you have contacted our support team and they have taken care of your case.

We want to provide some general feedback on how ChargePoint’s pricing and fees work.

1. All ChargePoint stations are independently owned and operated. The station owner determines the pricing policy (if any).
2. Depending on location and regulations, pricing may be parking + kWh, flat rate, etc; examples of common pricing structures we see…
a. Per session pricing - bill flat rate fee for entire session plugged into station (i.e. $2 per session)
b. Per hour pricing - bill from plug in to plug out, even if vehicle has completed charging (i.e. $1 per hour)
c. Per kWh pricing - bill the amount of energy dispensed (i.e. $0.39 per kWh)​
3. Pricing is located on the station display and is also visible via the website (Find Locations) or the mobile app

Regards,
ChargePoint Team