Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge point installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a model3 on order for a hopeful delivery of February.

I'm trying to sort out the home charge point, and was wondering if anyone knew of an installer in the Derby (nr belper) area?

Want to get a couple of quotes for installing the Tesla charger.

We have a model3 on order for a hopeful delivery of February.

I'm trying to sort out the home charge point, and was wondering if anyone knew of an installer in the Derby (nr belper) area?

Want to get a couple of quotes for installing the Tesla charger.

I’m having mine fitted on next Wednesday and using a company name ecoplugg, they do installations in the East Midlands.

I paid £505 for the tethered install. They sorted the £500 discount so the total was £1005. The Tesla charger is more expensive, no grant/discount, plus you have to pay an electrician to install it. I thought the Rolec seemed an easier option
Blimey - seems expensive! I was expecting to pay in the region of £500 fitted!

The one quote I have had in so far from the local electrician:
"7kw is about £300 + fitting +materials + vat. I would think it could be in the region of £550 + vat"

I did have to have a new box put in as there wasn't a spare in my electric board. I could have gone for non-thethered which was a cheaper option. (£420 approx) . Installation was quick, easy and painless by a couple of local contractors who said they are so unbelievably busy with these installations.

Reactions: Ukmgranger
I went to an electrician, and got them to advise on the charger. They were highly qualified electricians, and did a good job. But they were hopeless at helping me understand the process, there was no communication, when I queried things they were defensive.
As a result of my experiences, I recommend going to a charger manufacturer first, and have them sort out the electrician for you.

Reactions: Ukmgranger
When you order a charge point installation the company quote you a figure after the grant (so total £800 - £1200 dependant on charge point equipment). They then apply for the grant on your behalf (you need proof of an EV order). So you pay £300 - £700. Be aware that you may also need an isolation switch which can only be installed by the Power Distribution Company (not your electricity supplier or Charge point installer). This can cost an extra ~£300.
The isolation switch is needed to install a separate breaker and earth for the charge point in order that any fault only takes out the charge point and not you whole house.