Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge point installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When you order a charge point installation the company quote you a figure after the grant (so total £800 - £1200 dependant on charge point equipment). They then apply for the grant on your behalf (you need proof of an EV order). So you pay £300 - £700. Be aware that you may also need an isolation switch which can only be installed by the Power Distribution Company (not your electricity supplier or Charge point installer). This can cost an extra ~£300.
The isolation switch is needed to install a separate breaker and earth for the charge point in order that any fault only takes out the charge point and not you whole house.
I think we need the resident EV electrics guru @arg to shine a light on this thread :D

Reactions: AnRev
I have a Rolec, installed by Powered Solutions Ltd( tel: 01234 675930) cost £415 (after gov. discount) including 10 metres cable and the appropriate trip and isolator. I would also recommend the Octopus Go tariff, if you haven’t sorted a supplier yet I’ll let you have a referral for £50 off.

The isolation switch is needed to install a separate breaker and earth

The isolation switch is for jobs worth electricians who refuse to break the DNO seal and pull the fuse. Electricians have been doing this since fuses and seals were invented and at first, just rang to ask permission and were told to just cut it. As permission was granted every time, most electricians just break the seal and pull it and be done with it. However some gasp then make all sorts of tutting noises and just use it as an excuse to make the job sound more complicated than it is.

I'm getting an isolation switch fitted next week for free. One less thing for any electrician to tut over.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
For what it is worth I think having an isolator fitted is nothing to do with the fact you are installing an EV charging point. It's because you are having a second consumer unit (i.e. fusebox) fitted. The regulations now require that there must be a single switch that can isolate all the house electrics from the incoming mains. So it won't mater what the second consumer user supplies (e.g. an electric shower) you still need an isolator switch so that both consumer units can be switched off by a single switch

I picked a Tesla Wall Connector, when I got around to having it installed by a local Part P registered electrician she changed me £120. I had a suitable spare breaker in the consumer unit. The cable run was <10m. They were on site to do other work.

As the Tesla Wall Connector is not on the approved list EVSEs I did not qualify for a grant.

Electricians have to register with the scheme to apply for the grant so I guess those that are know all about it, those that aren’t don’t.

I'm far from convinced that it's a good idea to connect a charge point to a spare way in a CU, not least because it still means having a separate enclosure to fit the required DP Type A RCD/RCBO anyway, so it makes more sense to just supply that separate enclosure from the incoming supply. This also avoids adding to the heat build up in the CU from the MCB being run at 32 A for hours on end.

It's also not possible to connect to a spare way in any CU that has an RCD, either, as you cannot daisy chain RCDs for priority reasons, plus there's a risk that the RCD in the CU (which will probably be a Type AC) will be blinded by any DC component from the charge point when in use, so reducing or removing protection for the whole house (or that part of is fed from that side of the board if it's a split board).

No need for separate BC notification if done by a Part P electrician, as the EIC will just be electronically lodged on the database. However, it sounds as if this installation may not be compliant with the wiring regs (specifically BS7671:2018 Section 722) and so it should not have been signed off, perhaps. The signature block on the EIC includes wording that the person signing it (even if that signature is electronic) has inspected and tested the installation and ensured that it complies with the regs. Any non-compliances have to be listed, with reasons given, but failing to comply with the requirements of Section 722 would not normally be allowable for a new installation.