Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Proximity voltage fluctuations during AC charging cause charge to stop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Here’s something for the technically minded out there.

Since the beginning of February, my car developed a tendency to start charging on my Zappi, stop the charge after a few minutes and then continue to completion.
That coincides with software updates to both car and charger. It seems to be getting progressively worse.

Long story short. Tesla have looked at the car and can see fluctuations in “proximity voltage” which causes the car to stop the charge and sometimes signal charge complete when it isn’t.

Proximity voltage appears to be in the region of 1.9V. My two Zappi’s display fluctuation in the graph that Tesla showed me but my Tesla granny charger shows a nice steady flat line and charges without issue.

Does anyone understand the effects of “proximity voltage” in this scenario?

So the proximity voltage is likely to be the voltage on the Proximity Pilot Pins on the charger. SAE J1772 - Wikipedia
If the voltage drops off, the car will stop charging because it believes the cable is being removed. I'd see it as more likely that gradual wear/corrosion has caused the issue to become progressively worse than a software upgrade.

Have MyEnergi said anything about it yet? And are there any problems with the granny charger?

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks guys. Both Zappi’s were new V2.1’s in November (replacing my V1’s)

The worst one is in the garage and the plug is clean as a whistle. Doesn’t stop them being dodgy though.

Waiting on Myenergi to solve the problem