Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Magnet Detached

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mucall

2013 Model S 85
Apr 24, 2017
Fayetteville NC
199C9BB5-6C3F-4C04-9965-F81C078CA6CA.jpeg
1245D1A4-0815-43BA-9A54-4F7C208B5621.jpeg
I have had this issue happen to me for the past year on a classic 2013 Model S. Anyone have any input or experience on this issue. Reference post below and picture attached.

Charge Port Door Magnet Detached | Tesla

The magnet just became detached from the charge port door of my 2013 MS P85+. (Not the first time.) Tesla responded that because it's "covered" under my extended service agreement, they can swap out the entire charge port door . . . for payment of the $200 deductible. Gee, thanks.

Update: So, after a two week wait, a mobile technician came out and replaced the charge port door . . . or at least so I think, because the following morning, the door popped open again with the magnet stuck on it. Scheduled another service appointment on the mobile app. Soonest appointment is about two weeks from now. Boy, do I miss the old days.

This just happened to me. As it's impossible to speak to anyone at Tesla, I “made” an appointment via the app. I said I do NOT want to take the car to Tesla or have mobile service come to me during the current virus situation, and that I can reattach the “washer” (magnet) myself if they advise what adhesive to use. Instead of responding to me with what adhesive to use, they send me an estimate for $179.30 plus tax, representing $0.45 for a tape, $3.85 for a new magnet and $175.00 for labor. How does one get Tesla to respond to my question with what adhesive to use. It’s ridiculous to pay nearly $200 with tax to re-secure the “washer” (magnet). Plus this is my fifth or sixth charge port.

The "response" was probably a bot. Tesla switched to no-contact so they could fire most of their customer service folks. Call Roadside, they won't help but might be able to get a human to respond to you. Maybe.

This just happened to me. The only hard part was removing the previous double sided tape glue. I went with the 3M exterior mount tape. I really can't complain though. I have a 2013 MS 85 and this is the first time it has happened. I believe I am past any warranty period, but it has been a good car for the last 8+ years.

Is there a rotational alignment of the door magnet that needs to be very accurate? Mine came off and I super glued it back on, and happily the charge port closes (and opens) as normal now... however the car unfortunately doesn't recognize that the charge port is closed when it is. (always thinks door is open).
I did this as well and it says port open when it is not , this bothers me so bad idk what to do