Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door not unlocking after v.9 Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have had my Model 3 for a few months now. I unplug it before I leave for work daily by pressing the charger button to unlock the port, hang up my charger, then get in the car. Have never had a problem. Since upgrading to v.9 Friday night, I've had to open a door first to 'wake' the car, because the car has stopped responding to the charger button press to allow a release of the charger. Wondering if anyone else has had these issues?

If I read that right, that would defeat the purpose of locking it. Handle should not allow unlocking it.

It is true that you shouldn’t be able to unlock it without a key, but if the car knows that you have an authenticated phone on you, it would be nice if you could unplug it without having to unlock the car first. It is smart enough to unlock the car by touching the handle, you would think it could also unlock the charger when you press the button on the wall connector.

It is true that you shouldn’t be able to unlock it without a key, but if the car knows that you have an authenticated phone on you, it would be nice if you could unplug it without having to unlock the car first. It is smart enough to unlock the car by touching the handle, you would think it could also unlock the charger when you press the button on the wall connector.

I think that is how I am able to unplug the handle without opening the door.

True. Even if I unlock a door I have to click the unlock handle on Car Screen or Phone.

Similar discussion is here.

I do not have V9 yet, but this is how my charge port door is operating right now (must open car door first, before I can click the unlock button on my charge handle). However, it did not used to be like this for me. A few versions back, I recall that pushing the button on my charge handle would both unlock my car (side mirrors open and everything) and unlock the charge port. Personally, I think they tweaked something in the last few updates.

Someone in that other thread did point out that, if your car is still charging when you press the button on the charge port handle, it will unlock the car and the port, as the car isn’t fully asleep. But when it’s fully charged (say in the morning) the only thing to wake the car up and unlock the charge port handle is to open the door first. This is just based on my experience though.

So I sent an email to complain to my service guy at Tesla (long string of other issues, so just figured I'd send an update of more things that have "broken"). After 3 days of consistently having to open a door for the charge port to unlock, now it is functioning as usual again. And to clarify the comments above: I am trying to unlock the charge port door with an authenticated phone on me just before I get in the car to drive away. It's always worked perfectly fine: charging or not. I just walk up to the car, press the button, minor delay as the car boots up, the Tesla T lights up by the charge port, and it unlocks. The previous three days, there would be zero response to the button press. Whatever happened appears to have been fixed... I don't know if it's someone working behind the scenes, or how, but it's back to whatever 'normal' was for me.

If someone else tried to unlock the charge port by pressing the button, it wouldn't work, or if I tried without a phone on me, it wouldn't work... which is why it locks. But if you have a key, it should unlock to your magic touch :)

Reactions: ChrisH
So I sent an email to complain to my service guy at Tesla (long string of other issues, so just figured I'd send an update of more things that have "broken"). After 3 days of consistently having to open a door for the charge port to unlock, now it is functioning as usual again. And to clarify the comments above: I am trying to unlock the charge port door with an authenticated phone on me just before I get in the car to drive away. It's always worked perfectly fine: charging or not. I just walk up to the car, press the button, minor delay as the car boots up, the Tesla T lights up by the charge port, and it unlocks. The previous three days, there would be zero response to the button press. Whatever happened appears to have been fixed... I don't know if it's someone working behind the scenes, or how, but it's back to whatever 'normal' was for me.

If someone else tried to unlock the charge port by pressing the button, it wouldn't work, or if I tried without a phone on me, it wouldn't work... which is why it locks. But if you have a key, it should unlock to your magic touch :)
We long ago nicknamed our 2016 Model S "Maybe" -- because of the number of things that work, then don't work, then work, then don't work. Little stuff, I mean the car always starts and drives down the road, but it's just as likely to do so with the rearview mirrors still tucked in as not. We've decided to take it all with a sense of humor. (The v.9 update is NOT funny, not nohow.)

• Funny
Reactions: Dante
Used to be, as long as I had a key in my hand, I could give the charge door a little pop with my finger and it would open. Or, I could give the key one click on the "rear" and the charge door would open. Since v.9, the only way I can open the charge door is to use the main display.

Anyone else?

Used to be, as long as I had a key in my hand, I could give the charge door a little pop with my finger and it would open. Or, I could give the key one click on the "rear" and the charge door would open. Since v.9, the only way I can open the charge door is to use the main display.

Anyone else?

I also have this issue now, the charge doesn't open anymore when I get out of my car (while leaving my front door open).

I remember this scenario specifically because this is how I go about charging my car after I park. Not sure if it was v9 or an update before it though..

Now I have to go to my car screen to press unlock or via the phone. Pressing on the lid of the port doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: jhoughton1
So I don't know how the issue got fixed (secret tesla elves, or coincidence), but after the update, it never worked until I opened a door for 3 days, then after complaining, the issue went away and has worked flawlessly again... figured I'd offer an update for people following... maybe try sending your service person an email and they can do their secret magic dance and fix things from afar.