Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port door sensor fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a 2016 85d and tonight got an error saying charge port door sensor fault. The charge port door Started today randomly being open after I park the car. When driving if I hit the close charge port door it will close and immediately pop back open, click that button 2-3 times and it will stay closed. When i exit the car the screen says charge port open even though the door is closed. Then come back out to the car after driving and the port door is open.

Anyone had this issue? I already set up an appointment with service but my warranty just ran out so I am curious if anyone has gone through this and knows what I may be looking at repair/cost wise?

Did you clean the contacts on the port and plug? I haven't had where the screen and door are not in sync, but I have had the charge door open after closing. It's always done that, but not too often (1/100). I've also had the charge cable not properly register. Cleaning the contacts with a q-tip (gently) resolved the issue. I don't see how cleaning the contacts would affect the door, but there may be some other sensor that you can clean.

I have been honestly blown away by our mobile service locally. They came out and instead of replacing the charge door they re calibrated it first. It appears to of fixed the issue, and on top of that they did not charge me to recalibrate it.
How did they re-calibrate it? Did it look like something the end user could perform? Were your LED lights around the port working properly and just the door itself had issues or was it everything?

How did they re-calibrate it? Did it look like something the end user could perform? Were your LED lights around the port working properly and just the door itself had issues or was it everything?

I am not sure how they re calibrated it, i was in my office while they did it. LED lights worked properly and the vehicle charged fine but the issue was the door itself. When i would walk away from the car and lock it the door would open up automatically. Then when i would drive away the door would close but I would still get "charge door sensor fault" popping up. Will report back in a few days to see if it continues to work as it should.

• Informative
Reactions: Ostrichsak
I am not sure how they re calibrated it, i was in my office while they did it. LED lights worked properly and the vehicle charged fine but the issue was the door itself. When i would walk away from the car and lock it the door would open up automatically. Then when i would drive away the door would close but I would still get "charge door sensor fault" popping up. Will report back in a few days to see if it continues to work as it should.
Good info. Thanks!

This just happened to me too. I scheduled service, they sent me a quote for $900~.. I'm not going to approve it yet because mine is not doing exactly what yours is. The door still opens and closes when I go to charge. When I get in the car it says the port is open, but it is not. When I start driving it says sensor failure. So I am not sure if there is an actual issue with the assembly but thats what they're quoting me for, shows on the quote they are putting a GEN2 in which I guess is just easier than troubleshooting mine. I'm going to wait till they get here and if it's really a problem or not. Same as you 2016 85D

This just happened to me too. I scheduled service, they sent me a quote for $900~.. I'm not going to approve it yet because mine is not doing exactly what yours is. The door still opens and closes when I go to charge. When I get in the car it says the port is open, but it is not. When I start driving it says sensor failure. So I am not sure if there is an actual issue with the assembly but thats what they're quoting me for, shows on the quote they are putting a GEN2 in which I guess is just easier than troubleshooting mine. I'm going to wait till they get here and if it's really a problem or not. Same as you 2016 85D

So Tesla just left, they replaced the charger door and that fixed the problem. Guy said "Prolly time to change it anyways".. so maybe the charge port door & sensor have a 4 year lifecycle? Either way ended up only costing me $200 instead of the $700 that was quoted since they didn't have to replace the entire assembly.

I received the same error on my 2014 P85d. Tesla service came out and quoted around $300 to fix but said I could find a used one for less than $100 I purchased a used door from here on the forum and the tech came out to try to calibrate (at no charge) with no luck. The Tech ended up giving me his tester one he had in his van for free. I installed it myself as I did with the used one I purchased from here.

Im way out of warranty so I always fix my car myself as long as I can.

I have the same problem; message stating that Charge port door is open when closed and constant message "Charge Port Door sensor fault. Today, the door finally broke from its rotating shaft and flapped freely.
Took the charge port out today and low and behold the door motor and sensors were in a puddle of water. There is no drainage provided from that tray under the charge port. Extremely bad engineering!
Now scouring the internet for a used motorized door. I will also drill a drain hole into that tray under the port.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors