Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port opens in Car Wash. Anyone have this happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever entered a car wash in car wash mode and had the charge port open while in car wash or exiting car wash mode? My wife said it has happened to her a few times. She noticed it open after she pulled out of car wash.

The pressure from the water or the dryer fans at the end are opening the charge port door. There are almost ten ways you can open the charge port door and pressing on the door with your hand is one of them.
Disabling all ways of opening the charge port door is a Car Wash Mode feature. That is listed as one of the things it does when you enable it. If Car Wash Mode is enabled and has no bugs the charge port door will remain closed no matter what happens in the car wash. My guess is that somehow the person who asked this question and started this thread unintentionally left Car Wash Mode.

Reactions: M109Rider
Upvote 0
I’ve never had problems with car wash mode. It’s super easy to use, and works every time flawlessly. Not sure what problems or bugs you guys are seeing ?
It worked for me several times, until it didn’t. I was positioned in the wash and put it in free roll mode, and while waiting for the rollers to start pushing my car, it went back to drive/hold or park (not sure which) without warning. Anyway, the rollers starting going under my wheels and rocking the car violently although I didn’t immediately understand what was happening. I thought a car may have hit me from behind. Once I realized the car was no longer in neutral, I tried to select free roll again but was unable to. Things were happening quickly and another set of rollers was coming. So I put it in neutral manually using the shift lever. After exiting the wash, I could not leave car wash mode. The button simply didn’t work. I had to do a two-button reset to get the car back to normal and out of car wash mode. Made me gun shy about using it again. I had used car wash mode about a dozen times before that, so I knew how it worked.

Upvote 0
It worked for me several times, until it didn’t. I was positioned in the wash and put it in free roll mode, and while waiting for the rollers to start pushing my car, it went back to drive/hold or park (not sure which) without warning. Anyway, the rollers starting going under my wheels and rocking the car violently although I didn’t immediately understand what was happening. I thought a car may have hit me from behind. Once I realized the car was no longer in neutral, I tried to select free roll again but was unable to. Things were happening quickly and another set of rollers was coming. So I put it in neutral manually using the shift lever. After exiting the wash, I could not leave car wash mode. The button simply didn’t work. I had to do a two-button reset to get the car back to normal and out of car wash mode. Made me gun shy about using it again. I had used car wash mode about a dozen times before that, so I knew how it worked.
Similar story. I think that for people who us it once a week or less they think everything is fine. It seems to be like a 5% (arbitrary #) type issue which means that it may be months or years for someone who rarely visits a carwash to experience anything. We have an unlimited pass for all of our cars to an outfit that has several locations around the area. Most of quick were acquired which makes for a different experience at each one.

This was never an issue with any of our previous cars because you simply rolled up onto the track and did nothing other than make sure to remain buckled and not put hill hold mode on. Then simply press the accelerator once it was done to drive away.

I was excited for an actual carwash mode on the new car and it was fine-ish at first. Not ideal (it's imperative for them to remove any sort of brake requirement to access or exit this mode... big no no for conveyor style washes) but it was usable... until one time it wasn't. This is why I describe it as buggy because sometimes it works fine but others it is a mess and nothing you would logically think to do works to fix it. It's inconsistent and (when you're staging for a conveyor belt style carwash) "inconsistent" and "buggy" are the last two words you want describing a mode you need to put your car in as to not potentially hazardous situations.

In addition to the symptoms the user above described it also keeps you from rolling down your windows which makes it nearly impossible to communicate with the car wash attendant who just keep shouting to put the car in neutral because they don't even know what a Tesla is around here let alone that they're completely different from every other car that comes through. The whole time the car is saying it's not in Carwash mode when it clearly is but won't allow you to select free-roll. Just a nightmare of buggy software and a few small tweaks would make it a great feature. Typical Tesla stuff.

This is why we use neutral now because it cuts the times I have to hit my brakes from two to one which is still one too many. The older cars allowed you to toggle between D, N & R w/o touching the brakes which was far better for some many things. The nanny state is slowly taking over what was once an example of how a car manufacturer could function w/o unnecessary intervention where it wasn't needed. It's slowly devolving into creating cars for the lowest common denominator among us.

Upvote 0
When you say you out it in free roll mode. What does that mean to you ?
Neutral, or car wash mode ?

Upvote 0