Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port opens in Car Wash. Anyone have this happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever entered a car wash in car wash mode and had the charge port open while in car wash or exiting car wash mode? My wife said it has happened to her a few times. She noticed it open after she pulled out of car wash.

You have two options. You can stay in Drive, which is super easy in hold mode otherwise you need to hold the brake. The charge port will never open in Drive. That is what I do but I use touchless car washes where the car doesn't move.
The other option is to enable car wash mode, the feature was added exactly for this purpose. It will even let the car free roll, for example when the car wash has a conveyor...
EDIT Car wash mode has a very low speed limit and it automatically gets out of it if you exceed that speed. Make sure you enable it only once at the car wash...

Upvote 0
We had nothing but problems with Carwash mode. We gave up entirely and now just put the vehicle in N for the carwash and manually fold rthe mirrors from the screen then unfold them and put back in D once done. This is the easiest way and the things like the wipers and charge port that Car Wash that is supposed to disable is disabled anyway because you're in Neutral.

Car wash mode is a great idea but it's buggy as all get out and causes incredibly stressful situations (to the point where my wife began fearing the carwash in our new Model Y when we've been taking Teslas through the same carwashes several times a week for many years now) that are entirely avoidable if you simply act like it doesn't exist.

I've tried to voice my concerns but was mostly met with ridicule from other members of this very forum. This is another example where the older cars got it right. You don't have to do anything at all other than cost to a stop and make sure you don't trigger (H) mode and your seatbelt remains on. You do that and the car just rolls and at the end you can simply press on the accelerator peddle to drive away. Couldn't be any easier.

The advent of the new motor type made this far more complicated. The benefits far outweigh the cons though IMO but it just magnifies Tesla's insistence for releasing features that haven't been fully QC'd on it's paying customers and even forcing it upon them in several instances.

Upvote 0
We had nothing but problems with Carwash mode. We gave up entirely and now just put the vehicle in N for the carwash and manually fold rthe mirrors from the screen then unfold them and put back in D once done. This is the easiest way and the things like the wipers and charge port that Car Wash that is supposed to disable is disabled anyway because you're in Neutral.

Car wash mode is a great idea but it's buggy as all get out and causes incredibly stressful situations (to the point where my wife began fearing the carwash in our new Model Y when we've been taking Teslas through the same carwashes several times a week for many years now) that are entirely avoidable if you simply act like it doesn't exist.

I've tried to voice my concerns but was mostly met with ridicule from other members of this very forum. This is another example where the older cars got it right. You don't have to do anything at all other than cost to a stop and make sure you don't trigger (H) mode and your seatbelt remains on. You do that and the car just rolls and at the end you can simply press on the accelerator peddle to drive away. Couldn't be any easier.

The advent of the new motor type made this far more complicated. The benefits far outweigh the cons though IMO but it just magnifies Tesla's insistence for releasing features that haven't been fully QC'd on it's paying customers and even forcing it upon them in several instances.
No reason for anyone to be anything but polite. Thanks for ur answer.

Upvote 0

I’ve had similar problems as you with car wash mode. It’s unreliable. I’ll have to experiment with your method, thanks for the tip. I didn’t realize simply putting it in neutral would disable the charge port and wipers.

Upvote 0
I haven’t found Car Wash Mode buggy at all.

I have found it awkward and non-intuitive to use. It has taken me awhile to get to a place where I have a smooth flow of using it. And I’m still not 100% on ending it especially if there is a car close behind me in the wash. I also found getting into Neutral took a little practice in the days before Car Wash Mode was a thing.

A good explanation and walkthrough video is by Chuck Cook, the FSD Beta unprotected left guy. He did a YouTube video recently walking through the whole process of using it.

Reactions: unhyphy and BitJam
Upvote 0
I haven’t found Car Wash Mode buggy at all.

I have found it awkward and non-intuitive to use. It has taken me awhile to get to a place where I have a smooth flow of using it. And I’m still not 100% on ending it especially if there is a car close behind me in the wash. I also found getting into Neutral took a little practice in the days before Car Wash Mode was a thing.

A good explanation and walkthrough video is by Chuck Cook, the FSD Beta unprotected left guy. He did a YouTube video recently walking through the whole process of using it.
I've had no issues with car wash mode, but maybe I don't wash my car enough (once every couple of months?). I saw that video by Chuck, I never realized there was so much to it..

Upvote 0
I've had no issues with car wash mode, but maybe I don't wash my car enough (once every couple of months?). I saw that video by Chuck, I never realized there was so much to it..
I use a touch wash once a week to once every other week that drags my car through and have never had any issues with car wash mode. Once the attendant has me lined up I enable it, hit free-roll and let it rip. Charging port has never opened, no oddities here.

Reactions: agmonaco
Upvote 0

I’ve never had problems with car wash mode. It’s super easy to use, and works every time flawlessly. Not sure what problems or bugs you guys are seeing ?

Upvote 0