Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge rate automatically changes and trips the breaker.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Tesla Model S and it has charged at home with no problems up until a month ago. We always have the charge rate set at 32 amps but the Tesla now changes it to 72 amps and immediately trips the breaker. Vehicle went to Tesla Service who claimed there is nothing unusual with the software or cable. I have the identical set up with my F150 Platinum Lightning with no charging issues. Any ideas why I am only now having this problem please?

One should never depend on a setting in the car to set charging amps. Whatever you are using to charge the car with is announcing it is on an 80 amp circuit. If its not an 80 amp circuit, then you need to fix the setup of the device you are using to charge the car, not depend on the car to stay at 32amps because you set it that way in the car.

...We always have the charge rate set at 32 amps but the Tesla now changes it to 72 amps and immediately trips the breaker...
You've been lucky that it didn't happen to you before this, but as many have reported, sooner or later, it would.

The proper way is to use the correct adapter faithfully for the correct ampere. As you discovered, using your car's screen to lower the ampere doesn't necessarily stay that way permanently.

We have no idea what the OP is using to charge, but if they have wall connector, it also needs to be correctly configured for the amperage of the circuit (e.g. page 22 of https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf and 6 of https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf).

If it's a J1772 EVSE, it needs to be adjusted for the same reason, if adjustable. If not, they need to get one that is adjustable or of the correct max amperage.

Tesla's again claim the issue is not theirs. As suggested by them my electrician checked everything and found nothing wrong with install, breaker etc. Charging rate was consistent at 32 amp and 240 volts. By trial and error we discovered the sequence that automatically alters the charge rate as follows - App charge rate set at 32 amp. Plug in cable. Press 'starting charging' app still shows 32 amp. Press 'stop charging'. Press 'unlock charge port'. Open 'charging schedule' and charge rate has been defaulted to 72 amps. I'm convinced this has happened only after last software update. In addition I was informed that fires have broken out in homes where the breaker did not trip. Tesla need to address this safety issue!

Tesla's again claim the issue is not theirs. As suggested by them my electrician checked everything and found nothing wrong with install, breaker etc. Charging rate was consistent at 32 amp and 240 volts. By trial and error we discovered the sequence that automatically alters the charge rate as follows - App charge rate set at 32 amp. Plug in cable. Press 'starting charging' app still shows 32 amp. Press 'stop charging'. Press 'unlock charge port'. Open 'charging schedule' and charge rate has been defaulted to 72 amps. I'm convinced this has happened only after last software update. In addition I was informed that fires have broken out in homes where the breaker did not trip. Tesla need to address this safety issue!

The Correct protocol is: The power source instructs the car what amperes to be set at. It's automatic. When that fails, you can override it by dialing down the amperes. But by overriding it, the problem is still not fixed at the source.

You need to fix the source and not the overriding system.

By trial and error we discovered the sequence that automatically alters the charge rate as follows - App charge rate set at 32 amp. Plug in cable. Press 'starting charging' app still shows 32 amp. Press 'stop charging'. Press 'unlock charge port'. Open 'charging schedule' and charge rate has been defaulted to 72 amps.

When the car is not plugged into any charging equipment (i.e. after you hit “unlock charge port”) it will show the max amperage the onboard charger can support on the display. This does NOT mean the car has “defaulted to 72 amps”.

I'm convinced this has happened only after last software update. In addition I was informed that fires have broken out in homes where the breaker did not trip. Tesla need to address this safety issue!
What are you using to charge? A wall connector? A third party EVSE? The mobile cord? What type of outlet?

A properly configured charging setup will NEVER draw more amperage than the circuit can support, regardless of what the car “defaults” to. You need to provide more information about how you’re charging for real troubleshooting, but I believe the correlation you’ve created with a software update and/or car bug is not justified given the limited information you’ve provided.

The Correct protocol is: The power source instructs the car what amperes to be set at. It's automatic. When that fails, you can override it by dialing down the amperes. But by overriding it, the problem is still not fixed at the source.

You need to fix the source and not the overriding system.
Indeed. Tesla wall and mobile connectors (which are J1772 behind the scenes) + J1772 EVSEs emit a pilot signal with a certain duty cycle (Basics of SAE J1772) that say "this is the most I can output" in terms of amperage. The attached vehicle is supposed to comply and draw no more than that.

One needs to either configure the WC or J1772 EVSE properly or if not adjustable, get the correct EVSE.

Revisited Service Centre January 9 and they tested everything again and I was able to watch. You set the vehicle to charge at 32 amps, when you plug in the lead it does charge at 32 amps but the moment the lead is removed the vehicle reverts automatically to 72 amps. On replacing the lead it returns to 32 amps which they said is all normal and how the vehicle is set up. What they could not explain is why since November the breaker trips. They exchanged my charger lead with another they had (not a new one) and to date the breaker has not tripped since. One would then assume then the lead was the problem. I was advised by an E.S.A. Inspector that the safety rules regarding the home charging of all electric vehicles is under review and it is highly likely that all new installs will have to include a heat/smoke detector above the vehicle. For piece of mind I had them installed (cost $750.00) above my Tesla Model S and F150 Platinum Lightning.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Revisited Service Centre January 9 and they tested everything again and I was able to watch. You set the vehicle to charge at 32 amps, when you plug in the lead it does charge at 32 amps but the moment the lead is removed the vehicle reverts automatically to 72 amps. On replacing the lead it returns to 32 amps which they said is all normal and how the vehicle is set up. What they could not explain is why since November the breaker trips. They exchanged my charger lead with another they had (not a new one) and to date the breaker has not tripped since. One would then assume then the lead was the problem. I was advised by an E.S.A. Inspector that the safety rules regarding the home charging of all electric vehicles is under review and it is highly likely that all new installs will have to include a heat/smoke detector above the vehicle. For piece of mind I had them installed (cost $750.00) above my Tesla Model S and F150 Platinum Lightning.
As explained earlier, manually overriding down to 32A is a temporary, last resort fix that can only last for a while.

You need to buy an appropriate Tesla adapter head for a permanent fix that you no longer have to manually dial down the Amperes.

• Love
Reactions: Werecow and Rocky_H
The current mobile connector can charge at up 32 amps maximum. If it was an older one, it would be limited to 40 amps maximum. If it is going to 72 amps then it would mean he is using a wall connector.
It wasn’t going to 72 amps. This is OP’s poorly documented and explained symptoms, but I’m pretty damn sure it’s not what was actually happening.