Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge stops at 89% instead of 90% and 99% instead of 100% Problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just FYI, running down battery not necessary to balance. Balancing purportedly happens when you charge > 90%. I’d say if you think battery out of balance, charge to 90 or 93% nightly for a week.

The 89 vs 90 thing? Why are you concerned? The approximation is off 1%. Not enough to be concerned.

Just FYI, running down battery not necessary to balance. Balancing purportedly happens when you charge > 90%. I’d say if you think battery out of balance, charge to 90 or 93% nightly for a week.

The 89 vs 90 thing? Why are you concerned? The approximation is off 1%. Not enough to be concerned.

It's not that I'm concerned with the 1% difference, I'm concerned because why wouldn't it charge to where I have it set to? Also I'm still unfamiliar with this car so I don't know what's "normal". I don't know if this is any indication of a bigger problem.

See #1 and #7 at Model X will not charge to set limit to understand our concern.

Update about my charging issues. On Friday of last week, I let the battery drop in the teens and set the car to charge at 90%, which is the default the slider snaps to. I used the original gen 1 mobile connector. When I went out the next morning the car said charging complete at 91%.

Last night, I went out to charge again. This time I used the gen 2 mobile connector. This morning the car said charging complete at 89%.

Why the difference?

Update about my charging issues. On Friday of last week, I let the battery drop in the teens and set the car to charge at 90%, which is the default the slider snaps to. I used the original gen 1 mobile connector. When I went out the next morning the car said charging complete at 91%.

Last night, I went out to charge again. This time I used the gen 2 mobile connector. This morning the car said charging complete at 89%.

Why the difference?
Because estimating the charge level isn't an exact science. Also, if you charged last night and checked the level this morning, there was probably a drop due to vampire drain overnight. The battery state of charge will slowly drain before the charger turns back on and tops off the battery. The system doesn't stay powered up holding the battery at the target state of charge.

There's absolutely no difference between charging with the Gen 1 UMC, Gen 2 UMC, Wall Connector, or a generic J1772 charger. They are all just glorified extension cords with an integrated smart relay that doesn't turn on AC power to the car until the car says its ready to charge.