Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 stops charging after 5 minutes!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

My 2022 Model 3 RWD stops charging sfter 5 minutes on 7kw public chargers.

It's always 5 minutes!!

It started about 10 days ago.

Thought I would post in here for ideas before contacting Tesla

I have tried at 4 different locations, all of which I have charged at regularly before.

I have tried 2 different 32a charging cables, same result.

When the charging stops the screen says "charging equipment not ready".

The chargers themselves are still showing a green light to show they are still attempting to charge the car, so it appears the car is stopping the charge, and not the charger.

No problem with my 7kw podpoint at home!

Any ideas?

TIA

Hi

It's always 5 minutes!!

I have tried at 4 different locations, all of which I have charged at regularly before.

The chargers themselves are still showing a green light to show they are still attempting to charge the car, so it appears the car is stopping the charge, and not the charger.

Any ideas?

TIA
normally for this type of fault I would say charge point or cable but since you have tried those the car seems to be the common factor.
The only contrary evidence is that your home charger works.
the charger sends a signal to say it is ready seems like the car is getting this then after a while not getting it or not recognising it.

First thing I would say is do a re-boot on the car if you have not done that already.
Then get a torch and physically check the charge port for any damage or dirt that might be affecting the signal
after that then I go with @yessuz suggestion.

did the problem coincide with any software update?
are the public charge points 3phase? no reason that should make a difference but if they are it is one variable that might account for why your home one works and they do not though I have no idea why that would be the case but it might help to narrow down the issue.

Hi

It's always 5 minutes!!

Any ideas?

TIA
Just in case... some chargers like podpoint give you a few (15) minutes free charging but require you to confirm on their app, otherwise they stop.

Tip: Pod Point favour a combination of “Plug and Play” where our customers wish to offer it and the Pod Point app everywhere else with a contactless card reader as an option for rapid chargers.

When using the app, drivers get a 15 minute charging window in which to confirm charge, and a fail safe system in case of poor signal for top up chargers.

Reactions: boombap and Adopado
Hi

It's always 5 minutes!!

Any ideas?

TIA
Also just check whether you are using any podpoint home schedule - this can normally interfere with using podpoint chargers outside. You have to remove the home routine schedule to allow podpoint chargers to charge instantly. But it looks like you have charged on podpoint before and I am not sure whether all of the chargers you’ve tried are podpoint ones.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Hey @cwanja - irony alert :)
giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: cwanja and init6
Pretty sure pod point has changed to 5 mins as well now because of the people that sit in supermarket car parks and unplugs and replies in the car every 15 mins while there partner shops.
Yes, sorry about that, still it gives me something to do for the maximum parking time /s

At 7kW x 4 miles per kWh - 28 miles per hour of charging - wow. About 7 x 30p = £2.10 at capped rate? I'm tight, but really?

Reactions: Alan J
Pretty sure pod point has changed to 5 mins as well now because of the people that sit in supermarket car parks and unplugs and replies in the car every 15 mins while there partner shops.

Makes no difference if you start a "paid for" charge through the app, it still cuts out after 5 mins.

When the 15 minutes runs out on podpoint the charger turns off and the light on the charger goes blue.

When mine cuts out the charger light stays green, i.e. on.

Makes no difference if you start a "paid for" charge through the app, it still cuts out after 5 mins.

When the 15 minutes runs out on podpoint the charger turns off and the light on the charger goes blue.

Are the public chargers all Podpoint though? if so might be worth testing another type to see if this is a Podpoint only issue.
if the free period ends after 5 minutes maybe the charger is glitching and cutting off for a second then the car is stopping charging and not re-starting for some reason? haver you stood next to the charger at the 5 minute mark to see if the lights change or anything at that point momentarily?

Reactions: Cantonalegod
I've had multiple problems with my charging. My most recent issue was because the charge port mounting bolts were loose, so there was an inconsistent ground connection. After a while of charging the heat would cause some sort of of movement and terminate the charge. Tightening the bolt solved the problem. Maybe check and try that?

If that doesn't work, going into 'service mode' might give more descriptive error details.

Reactions: Cantonalegod

I have the same. It disconnects after 5 minutes if I don't confirm charging. The charger glows green for 15 minutes, then blue. If I confirm the charging in the application within 5 minutes, it works normally. I think this change happened about 2 weeks ago.
I'm talking about Pod Point.