Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge-Up NJ rebate program Phase 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They can just call the DMV, and have them see if the Title Owner of the car changed.
Oh yeah? You think they’re calling the DMV to check on how many thousands of cars to see if it’s still owned by the original Buyer? Just because there is a way to do it doesn’t mean that the government has dedicated a team of people calling DMV’s around the country to ensure no one has collected their rebate money and sold their cars. It’s unlikely in my opinion. Could it happen? Sure. My advice was do it at your own peril.

Reactions: Sludog
Oh yeah? You think they’re calling the DMV to check on how many thousands of cars to see if it’s still owned by the original Buyer? Just because there is a way to do it doesn’t mean that the government has dedicated a team of people calling DMV’s around the country to ensure no one has collected their rebate money and sold their cars. It’s unlikely in my opinion. Could it happen? Sure. My advice was do it at your own peril.
Exactly. Worst case scenario, the send you a bill for $2k if you sell the car within 3 years. If you don't have $2k laying around then you shouldn't be buying a $55k car. Anyhow, at the current trade in or resale rates for Tesla cars, you will for sure be making well over the $2k back easily.

Reactions: NJEV-Don
Am I reading this correctly? Looks like there is only $4.4m of the $30m total funds still available under the program? I can't tell if the $30m pertains to phase 1 or 2 or both? My concern is I order a car today and don't take delivery until January and then all the funds are gone.

What exactly does "issued & reserved" mean ? I ordered the Model 3 back on July 22nd and my EDD is mid to late Oct. When I check my Tesla account agreement I see the 5000 discount taken off the price, does this mean my discount is good ? When the 3 arrives and time for me to write a check if the funding is empty at that time is my discount gone ?

Just look at your order details. If you see the NJ charge up rebate added to invoice then you are good. The money is pulled from the balance already.
Sludog, are you sure about this? The money is pulled from the balance already? I do see the 5k in my order details in my Tesla account - for a Model 3 not Y - but my EDD is mid to late October. The way the available funding is rapidly depleting it doesn't look like there will be any funding left by mid to late Oct when the 3 is scheduled to arrive. I emailed both my Tesla advisor and the chargeup energy website and it sounds like it doesn't work as you described, or at least open to interpretations. The Tesla advisor is not 100% sure but he said they only submit the application after delivery. The chargeup people stated this in their email response:

The current dashboard reflects issued, reserved (with incentive application submitted by the dealership) and ordered vehicles (applications not yet submitted by a participating dealership). We cannot advise you regarding the status of your order or what actions to take, however the current dashboard reflects issued, reserved and ordered vehicles.

and this:

"Reserved" means an incentive application was submitted by the dealership and is pending review. "Ordered" means an application has not yet been submitted by a participating dealership but is still reflected on the funding dashboard. While the chart reflects these vehicle orders, funding cannot be reserved until the vehicle is delivered and the dealership submits an application per the program's terms and conditions.

I know the part that says" ordered vehicles (applications not yet submitted by a participating dealership) agrees with your point that the balance is already pulled. But still kind of nervous about the 5k. The tricky part is understanding what is "ordered vehicles" . I would think ordering on the website and then waiting for delivery would fall under "ordered vehicles" . But is that really the case ?

What exactly does "issued & reserved" mean ? I ordered the Model 3 back on July 22nd and my EDD is mid to late Oct. When I check my Tesla account agreement I see the 5000 discount taken off the price, does this mean my discount is good ? When the 3 arrives and time for me to write a check if the funding is empty at that time is my discount gone ?
I ordered on July 22nd too and my account doesn't show the $5000 discount anywhere...

Sludog, are you sure about this? The money is pulled from the balance already? I do see the 5k in my order details in my Tesla account - for a Model 3 not Y - but my EDD is mid to late October. The way the available funding is rapidly depleting it doesn't look like there will be any funding left by mid to late Oct when the 3 is scheduled to arrive. I emailed both my Tesla advisor and the chargeup energy website and it sounds like it doesn't work as you described, or at least open to interpretations. The Tesla advisor is not 100% sure but he said they only submit the application after delivery. The chargeup people stated this in their email response:

The current dashboard reflects issued, reserved (with incentive application submitted by the dealership) and ordered vehicles (applications not yet submitted by a participating dealership). We cannot advise you regarding the status of your order or what actions to take, however the current dashboard reflects issued, reserved and ordered vehicles.

and this:

I know the part that says" ordered vehicles (applications not yet submitted by a participating dealership) agrees with your point that the balance is already pulled. But still kind of nervous about the 5k. The tricky part is understanding what is "ordered vehicles" . I would think ordering on the website and then waiting for delivery would fall under "ordered vehicles" . But is that really the case ?
If you ask multiple Tesla advisors you will get multiple answers for sure. Makes no sense that advisor said they submit the application after delivery. Does he mean they send Tesla a check in the mail after application was approved? It is a point of sale rebate which means money immediately comes off the price when you pay and take car home. What would happen if the application gets denied? Do they ask you for the $5000 back a few weeks later after you drove the car home? I have multiple Tesla orders in and they all have the rebate on the invoice which is the same invoice you will use to pay for the car if you paid in cash. So this makes me believe that the $2k or $5k was already reserved and deducted when order was placed. But again we are dealing with NJ so anything can happen.

Are you looking at the invoice or the order page? Look at completed tasks and click show details. it should show your credit.
that's where I looked... no credit whatsoever.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 11.07.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 11.07.27 PM.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 89
Thanks all for adding your thoughts and information about the situation. I just go an email response from the Charge Up program. I feel better even though I do not have a line item in my Tesla order for the Charge Up New Jersey Incentive like Sludog has shown in his attachments. Below is the response I got, I added the red color to highlight what I'm counting on ("delivered" being key).

Good afternoon,

The funding chart was recently updated to include all eligible vehicle orders placed in New Jersey after 7/6/21, the start of the Charge Up New Jersey program, in addition to reserved and processed incentive funds previously displayed. While the chart reflects these vehicle orders, funding cannot be reserved until the vehicle is delivered and the dealership submits an application per the program's terms and conditions. Therefore, your vehicle order is accounted for in the funding chart, but your incentive cannot be reserved until a dealership submits an application.

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Charge Up New Jersey Staff
Center for Sustainable Energy®

I have a November estimated delivery, so I feel more confident that the funding will still be available when I take delivery. Thanks very much Sludog for posting your Order attachments. Good luck to all.