Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged twice at a SC since picked up and my experience...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting solar and L2 charger soon but before that, relying on a near by SC. I'm sitting here right now charging and even though I arrived cold, and battery needed to warm up, I was getting much faster charging speed when initially arrived. It went from 150kw to 70kw. And I'm at 72%. So I don't think they can get the full 250kw often? And can't wait for solar so I don't have to do this anymore.. I can understand how some get rid of their Tesla's if no L2 at home. I for one can't stand this, but loving the car!

I'm getting solar and L2 charger soon but before that, relying on a near by SC. I'm sitting here right now charging and even though I arrived cold, and battery needed to warm up, I was getting much faster charging speed when initially arrived. It went from 150kw to 70kw. And I'm at 72%. So I don't think they can get the full 250kw often? And can't wait for solar so I don't have to do this anymore.. I can understand how some get rid of their Tesla's if no L2 at home. I for one can't stand this, but loving the car!
The charging curve works like that. I'm sure others will explain it much more detailed than I can, but your fastest charging is when the battery is around 20% or less, you'll only get peak charging for a short time and then it'll drop off. That's why you usually only do from 20-80% or less at SCs, you'll sit there forever waiting to get any higher. For me, anecdotally, it always seems to go extremely fast from 20-50%, then slows down after that. I rarely charge higher than 80% at an SC unless I really need it.

As for only getting 150, that would be normal if you didn't allow the battery to warm enough, but are you also sure you were at a 250kw charger? All SCs are not created equal. The car will tell you on the map which kind of SC it is if you tap on it. There are 120, 150, and 250kw chargers out there.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and E46M3
You are correct; Supercharging rate (kW) significantly tapers off starting at 40% SOC, 60% SOC, especially above 80% SOC. Most Tesla owners who use a Supercharger while on a road trip will stop Supercharging when the battery state of charge (SOC) reaches 80%. The V3 Supercharger only approaches the maximum 250kW charging rate for ~5 minutes; when the battery SOC when starting to charge is at or below 20% and full preconditioned (warmed) for Supercharging.

If you seek out an Urban Supercharger location in your area you can enjoy a more leisurely Supercharger charging session, perhaps up to 1 hour. The Urban Superchargers are limited to 72kW charging rate, half that rate when the battery SOC is above 60% or so and not full preconditioned for Supercharging. Urban Superchargers are typically found in parking garages and shopping centers as they require less charging infrastructure space than the V2 (150kW) and V3 (250kW) Superchargers. Charging at the lower 72kW charging rate might be better for the long term health of the battery. You would have enough time to browse the shops or enjoy a meal.

Reactions: E46M3