Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged with a Cybertruck: better looking in person!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It dwarfed the Model X on the other side. Looks stunning in person, even though it was really dirty. I’ve heard people who hate Cybertrucks say they’re even uglier in person—this has got to be the most polarizing car ever. I, for one, love the design.

It had a dealer plate, so obviously a company/test vehicle. The steering column cover was broken—hope that doesn’t become an issue.

View attachment 1002865View attachment 1002865
Are you sure that is a Model X? Do not see the FWD’s. Looks like a Model S to me.

They aren't making model 3's there in Tx and have not intentions to.

Why do you think more than Tx is needed? Needed for what? They haven't even used half of the land there.
For many reasons, one being why Texas was chosen to being with, to reduce the cost of shipping to the majority of their customers (who live in California)
And for simple diversity.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
Are you sure that is a Model X? Do not see the FWD’s. Looks like a Model S to me.
Looks to me as a Model X on the left and Model S on the right. The left car has adjacent door handles.
The Cybertruck is 14 inches taller than the Model S

1704240850396.png

For many reasons, one being why Texas was chosen to being with, to reduce the cost of shipping to the majority of their customers (who live in California)
And for simple diversity.
Texas was chosen during pandemic. Homeboy wanted to open factory, Ca leaders said nah fam. Then he pulled the BDE out and said, “we out then.”

Would be dumb to close a factory that produces 3s at scale for a factory that was only meant to run CT/taxi/Y Aka 4680 toys.

Tesla doesn't hold it against you for cancelling. Why would they?

And you know that - how?
Plenty of posts from people cancelling their order reservations, and NOT getting the refunds.
In fact, I'm yet to hear from anyone who has been successfully refunded the CT order reservation fee.

They get to keep your order fee and in their financial interest that more people cancel.

This statement makes exactly ZERO sense.
Order reservation fee was fully refundable.

The Cybertruck isn't going to have enough production facilities for a while as well.

The much bigger challenge is debugging and ramping up 4680 battery production.
Tesla had discontinued Model Y production at the TX plant to redirect 4680's to CT line. Even that may not be sufficient:
"Tesla's Giga Texas factory is currently churning out 4680 battery cells at rate only sufficient to power about 24,000 Cybertrucks a year, or about a 10th of the required output"

The other (bigger) problem is with 4680 batteries themselves,
"Cybertruck is the first Tesla model that uses 4680 cells exclusively. Tesla made sure it had enough 4680-cell supply by discontinuing the 4680 Model Y produced at Giga Texas until earlier this year. The Model Y was crippled by poor battery performance, requiring more time to charge than its 2170-cell counterpart made in Fremont. This was caused by the charging power dropping very early into the charging session. Tesla's charging time estimates were also too optimistic, claiming it needed 25 minutes to reach 80% when, in fact, it required 40 minutes.
Tesla reassured those who feared the Cybertruck would experience the same issue that the electric pickup uses a more advanced variant of the 4680 cells. The second generation of the cells, dubbed "Cybercells," promised 10% more energy density. The first Cybertrucks seen charging pointed to similar problems as the Model Y,"

a

You said "they are" making model 3's in Texas.

You now don't get the chance to explain why they aren't.

Make up your mind
I made a mistake when I lumped Model 3 and Model Y together, Get over it.

I don't think that your crystal ball gazing is correct. You don't think that mine is. But remember the real argument is you saying that my statement "Teh Cybertruck isn't going to have enough production facilities for a while as well." was wrong. And suggested that Austin Cyberfactory was big enough.

I'm mainly using Tesla's information that they have mentioned a few times, Cybertruck manufacturing will not be at full speed in 2024, which, of course, is stating the obvious since they aren't there today.

"CEO Elon Musk said that he expects it would take Tesla about 18 months to ramp up to a volume production of about 250,000 units annually."

So since you are suggesting only a year of constrained delivery, you are suggesting that there are a lot fewer than 250,000 orders in the queue. And that would assume no additional orders this year.

• Funny
Reactions: ABC2D
And you know that - how?
Plenty of posts from people cancelling their order reservations, and NOT getting the refunds.
In fact, I'm yet to hear from anyone who has been successfully refunded the CT order reservation fee.
When you said holding it against you, you did't say anything about keeping the order or reservation fee. I thought you meant they would hold grudge or something. When the Cybertruck was first revealed I put my reservation in and it's a refundable $100. If I cancel I get my $100 back. It was the same way back when they started selling StarLink, it was a $100 reservation and I cancelled and got my money back. Tesla has since changed their policy and I think it's now $250 and non refundable if you cancel. I recently bought a Model Y and it was that way. But when I completed the transaction I got the $250 subtracted from the price of the car.

So again now order reservation fees are not fully refunded. So if you cancel they keep your $250. And they make money. They did this because too may people were cancelling reservations in anticipation of refreshed models and they needed the quarterly sales numbers. So they discouraged people from cancelling by hitting their pockets. And I think it sucks and shouldn't be legal.

Reactions: ArchHamster
When you said holding it against you, you did't say anything about keeping the order or reservation fee...

I think you might be getting afadeev and me confused 😅. I posted a question about if Tesla holds grudges for cancelling a Cybertruck order while explicitly stating I don't care about losing the 250-1k pre-order fee, to which you replied 'Nope' (but, in more words) to which afadeev replied about people missing the refunds, which I don't care about in my original post.

My question was indeed about something outside of the lost pre-order fee. I heard rumors during the 2020-2021 time constrained period that if you preorder a tesla and either cancel the pre-order or reject delivery on delivery day, Tesla could retaliate via banning you from ordering a new Tesla for an entire year. I'm not sure if that was true or is currently true. So that's my worry. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I pre-order a cybertruck, change my mind and cancel the order only to then decide to order the new refresh refreshed X or the new refreshed Y (Juniper) but find myself unable too because I canceled my cybertruck order. More or less.

When you said holding it against you, you did't say anything about keeping the order or reservation fee. I thought you meant they would hold grudge or something. When the Cybertruck was first revealed I put my reservation in and it's a refundable $100. If I cancel I get my $100 back. It was the same way back when they started selling StarLink, it was a $100 reservation and I cancelled and got my money back. Tesla has since changed their policy and I think it's now $250 and non refundable if you cancel. I recently bought a Model Y and it was that way. But when I completed the transaction I got the $250 subtracted from the price of the car.

So again now order reservation fees are not fully refunded. So if you cancel they keep your $250. And they make money. They did this because too may people were cancelling reservations in anticipation of refreshed models and they needed the quarterly sales numbers. So they discouraged people from cancelling by hitting their pockets. And I think it sucks and shouldn't be legal.
When I ordered my Model Y just last spring, it was $250 non refundable which was fine because I knew for sure I would take the car. I recently ordered a Cybertruck. The deposit was $150 fully refundable which matters because I've yet to see one in person and mine could be years away. I'm more likely to take a "Model 2" for my wife, so I don't care how they work the deposit on that car.

I heard rumors during the 2020-2021 time constrained period that if you preorder a tesla and either cancel the pre-order or reject delivery on delivery day, Tesla could retaliate via banning you from ordering a new Tesla for an entire year. I'm not sure if that was true or is currently true. So that's my worry.
I've never heard of this and highly doubt that it is true. Really doesn't make good business sense for Tesla to band someone from ordering for an entire year, when someone else would happily buy the car. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: ArchHamster
I made a mistake when I lumped Model 3 and Model Y together, Get over it.

I don't think that your crystal ball gazing is correct. You don't think that mine is. But remember the real argument is you saying that my statement "Teh Cybertruck isn't going to have enough production facilities for a while as well." was wrong. And suggested that Austin Cyberfactory was big enough.

I'm mainly using Tesla's information that they have mentioned a few times, Cybertruck manufacturing will not be at full speed in 2024, which, of course, is stating the obvious since they aren't there today.

"CEO Elon Musk said that he expects it would take Tesla about 18 months to ramp up to a volume production of about 250,000 units annually."

So since you are suggesting only a year of constrained delivery, you are suggesting that there are a lot fewer than 250,000 orders in the queue. And that would assume no additional orders this year.

Well, all you had to do was to say that you made a mistake.

I'm not saying anything at all about a crystal ball or anything else you are saying. Quote me directly when you are speaking about something I say.

Yes, the Model Y order fee is non refundable...if you cancel the order. If you buy the car then that fee is reduced from the purchase price.
Cybertruck's reservation fee is refundable, as is the Roadster's. I think in general, reservation fees Tesla collects for unreleased products is refundable. For the products already in full production, you are right, they switched it to a non-refundable order fee. They have a similar non-refundable fee for the foundation edition Cybertruck.

Last edited:
Imagine :
not being able to watch media on main screen while you charge your 135kWh pack. - riv official reply, “there are hooks and usbC on the back of headrests. Climb back there and enjoy!”
I thought you were joking or exaggerating, but I just looked it up. Rivians don't have any video streaming apps on the main screen, nor screen mirroring, nor even a web browser. How they thought this is acceptable in a car released in the 2020s, much less from a tech oriented startup, and for an EV (where it would be most useful when charging, as you put it) is beyond me. And more than 2 years later that's still the case and haven't yet been changed with a software update. Wow.

I thought you were joking or exaggerating, but I just looked it up. Rivians don't have any video streaming apps on the main screen, nor screen mirroring, nor even a web browser. How they thought this is acceptable in a car released in the 2020s, much less from a tech oriented startup, and for an EV (where it would be most useful when charging, as you put it) is beyond me. And more than 2 years later that's still the case and haven't yet been changed with a software update. Wow.
Yep.
Worst. EV. Ever.

13yr old company, no excuse with a ~100k$ 135kWh vehicle to be told to get in the backseat with an iPad.

They’re too busy breaking the ride quality or bricking the car with OTA updates(which the ownerbase seems to think is unique to this turd of a car)