Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ChargePoint home not as advertised

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed HomeFlex hardwired CH50 with NEMA connector.

I was told it needed two 4gauge cables and either 70 or 80 amb breaker, but the unit only accepts 6 gauge and 80 is not legal here. 70amp achieves the same results according to the instruction booklet. I pay the extra $100 to bump up from the 60 amp thinking 80% is 52amp and my max net will be 50amp/12kw.

No, it’s 48amp/11kw 🤬
Ok, yes that’s better than Tesla 45amp/10kw but I’m not happy with the false advertisement and the waste of the upgrade money!
Tesla’s chart shows a max input of 11.5amp for home charging and I’m not getting that either.

Has anyone had better results?

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 13
You are all sorts of confused about units, expectations, and everything in between. Nor is it clear who “told” you these things or where the “false advertising” is happening.

Your car’s onboard charger maxes out at 48 amps, 11.5kw. It will never charge faster than that on a level 2 AC charger. Any L2 charger.

In other words, you’re charging as fast as you possibly can. There’s nothing to fix.

Last edited:
I already posted that. I posted a link to Tesla showing a max 11.5kw/48amp.

I already posted that ChargePoint advertised …no idea where you get “someone told you”.

I posted ChargePoint support verified 50amp/12kw before installation.

I am not getting Tesla’s max 11.5kw. I also already posted that.

Nothing to fix? The post never asked a question on how to fix anything.

1. Charger advertised as 12.5kw/50amp net with 70 or 80am breaker.
2. Requires dual 4 gauge wires but the charger only accepts 6 gauge.
2. Charger produces 11kw/48amp with dual 6 gauge and 70amp breaker
3. Tesla shows 11.5kw max and I get 11kw on 50amp breaker.
4. There was absolutely no reason for me to clarify what I wrote, which was very succinct.

I already posted that. I posted a link to Tesla showing a max 11.5kw/48amp.
Correct. That is the fastest your car will ever charge.

I already posted that ChargePoint advertised …no idea where you get “someone told you”.
I got it from where you said "I was told it needed two 4gauge cables".

I posted ChargePoint support verified 50amp/12kw before installation.
Yes, and the EVSE is indeed capable of providing that level of power to a car that can take it. Yours can not.

I am not getting Tesla’s max 11.5kw. I also already posted that.
You are, per your own picture, that shows your car charging at 11kw (rounded) and a full 48 amps.

1. Charger advertised as 12.5kw/50amp net with 70 or 80am breaker.
And indeed the EVSE can provide up to 50 amps as advertised, to a car that can take it. Yours can not.

2. Requires dual 4 gauge wires but the charger only accepts 6 gauge.
You have not specified where you saw this specification or who told you such.

2. Charger produces 11kw/48amp with dual 6 gauge and 70amp breaker
Because that's the max your car can take.

3. Tesla shows 11.5kw max and I get 11kw on 50amp breaker.
The display is rounded and does not show decimal places. You are charging at a full 48 amps at 238 volts per your picture, which is 11.424 kw (48 amps x 238 volts = 11,424 watts).

4. There was absolutely no reason for me to clarify what I wrote, which was very succinct.
Except it's not. Again, it is riddled with misunderstanding, mixed up units, and incorrect assumptions.

Last edited:
Correct. That is the fastest your car will ever charge.

I got it from where you said "I was told it needed two 4gauge cables".

Yes, and the EVSE is indeed capable of providing that level of power to a car that can take it. Yours can not.

You are, per your own picture, that shows your car charging at 11kw (rounded) and a full 48 amps.

And indeed the EVSE can provide up to 50 amps as advertised, to a car that can take it. Yours can not.

You have not specified where you saw this specification or who told you such.

Because that's the max your car can take.

The display is rounded and does not show decimal places. You are charging at a full 48 amps at 238 volts per your picture, which is 11.424 kw (48 amps x 238 volts = 11,424 watts).

Except it's not. Again, it is riddled with misunderstanding, mixed up units, and incorrect assumptions.

In addition to all that, the OP said:

Ok, yes that’s better than Tesla 45amp/10kw

Teslas wall connector maxes out at 60amp circuit / 48amp charging, 11.5kW, so I am not sure where "better than Tesla 45amp / 10kW comes from. Its not the mobile connector, because the mobile connector maxes out at 40amp / 32amp charging.

I also dont understand the thread title itself, since there is no way for the OP to know if the charge point is "operating as advertised" for its max speed since No modern Tesla charges faster than 48amp.

As for "no need to clarify what you wrote because it was succinct", no one has to clarify anything they dont want to, but your original post had a lot of stuff that was wrong / incorrect, so I dont know if "succinct" is a term I would use for it.

First, why would you buy a Chargepoint when the Tesla charger is vastly superior in every possible way - including price.

Second, every car has a max current and yours is 48A. So if you want the full 11.5kW you're going to need a little more than 238V. And no, that generally isn't possible, it's more of a theoretical rating since 48A x 239.6V = 11,500W.

Third, where is all your wacky information coming from? What's all this junk about 45A and 4 gauge wiring? Whoever is telling you this random garbage is just making stuff up.

Fourth, it's all working fine. Unless you were serious about having a 50A breaker, in which case you'll probably get some nuisance trips.

To put a nicer cap on it: congratulations! Your setup is working as expected, and if you ever add another vehicle you may yet realize the upgraded current capability then.

When measured, you got 48A at 238V = 11,424W. At a different time of day the 2V voltage sag may go away and you will see the Tesla-rated 11,520, or if rising even just another 1.58V the display will show 11.5KW. But I wouldn't stress over 76 watts difference...life's too short.

Thanks drb3333 …for the only non troll reply.

Tesla shows 11kw both inside and on the app. ChargePoint shows 11.5kw on their app but the math only adds up to 11.35kw. It sucks it won’t over clock to 12kw as I had thought, but 11 is better than 10.

This post was both a question and information for others.

So, this post is both for my sake wondering if the $125 bump from the 60amp to the 70amp was a waste of money. If with the 60amp fuse, the max kw is 10 then it was worth it. If not, then other people would know 60 anmp and 70amp breakers both yield 11kw.

If you have a hard wired HomeFlex CH50:

1. ChargePoint home users
If and only if you have CH50 hard wired and are you using the 60 amp breaker?
2. If so, do you max at 10kw?

3. To answer someone else’s question as to why ChargePoint over Tesla as I loose the ability to monitor it in the Tesla App, it was strictly for the local utility company rebates. I don’t think Tesla’s charger if far superior in every way but it would be nice to have a matching charger.

4. I am using a 70 amp breaker, not a 50 amp and my question was for 60 amp users.

Now for post haters:

ChargPoint’s web site and manual both state it is capable of 12.5kw50amp net, with either a 70amp or 80amp fuse and dual 4gauge wires but their charger can only accept dual 6 gauge cable. I don’t care if you work for ChargePoint or live under a bridge. It is false advertising to state those number knowing the unit can NOT accept dual 4 gauge.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H

Tesla shows 11kw both inside and on the app. ChargePoint shows 11.5kw on their app but the math only adds up to 11.35kw. It sucks it won’t over clock to 12kw as I had thought, but 11 is better than 10.

This post was both a question and information for others.
No worries; enjoy your ride.

Thanks for the post and starting the discussion--information is never wasted.

Regarding the upgrade, I definitely would have done myself, it all day long. It's the right choice!

It sucks it won’t over clock to 12kw as I had thought

It's not a matter of haters and trolls, it's that your entire premise of "false advertising" and "waste of upgrade money" are rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding of how it all works and what the documentation states.

Your car can accept *current* and is performing exactly as advertised at 48A.
Your house can supply *voltage*, and is performing exactly as advertised at within 5% of 240V.
Your breaker protects the wiring in your walls from melting. It has nothing to do with the power delivered to your car.
Your building code states that continuous current shall not exceed 80% of the circuit rating, so a 60A circuit is legally enough for your 48A car.

There are no "upgrades" or "overclocks". It just is what it is - whatever voltage you have gets multiplied by that 48A limit and then rounded on-screen to the nearest kW.

Now for post haters:

ChargPoint’s web site and manual both state it is capable of...dual 4gauge wires but their charger can only accept dual 6 gauge cable. I don’t care if you work for ChargePoint or live under a bridge. It is false advertising to state those number knowing the unit can NOT accept dual 4 gauge.

Well, someone told you "Tesla 45amp/10kw" which is nonsense. Someone told you "I was told it needed two 4gauge cables and either 70 or 80 amb breaker". And where in the ChargePoint manual or web site does it state that it can even accept 4 AWG wiring? I only see 6 AWG clearly stated on page 9 of the CH50 installation manual:

1717045576736.png

This is true.

Here's my car charging at 12 kW AC, bizarrely, at exactly the same voltage and current as OP car (48A @ 238V). Guess it was an extra spicy 238V idk

View attachment 1050685
The numbers are rounded. If it happened to be at 11.5 or above it gets rounded to 12. If it's below 11.5 it get rounded down to 11 kw. If it shows 11KW, you are probably still getting close to 11.5 if your voltage and amperage math out. (240V x 48A)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
For the record, giving someone correct answers they don't like is not trolling.

Tesla shows 11kw both inside and on the app. ChargePoint shows 11.5kw on their app but the math only adds up to 11.35kw.
If your home's voltage was 240 instead of 238, you'd get the extra 150 watts. Unfortunately you can't control that.

So, this post is both for my sake wondering if the $125 bump from the 60amp to the 70amp was a waste of money.
For your Tesla, yes, it was a waste of money, because your car can't accept any more power than you'd get on a 60 amp breaker (48 amps). For future-proofing or other considerations? I think only you can answer whether or not $125 was worth an extra potential 2 amps for you.

If with the 60amp fuse, the max kw is 10 then it was worth it.
It's not. The max kw with a 60 amp breaker is 60 amps /80% = 48 amps x 240 volts = 11,520 watts = 11.5kw.

If not, then other people would know 60 anmp and 70amp breakers both yield 11kw.
Again, if your car could accept greater than 48 amps, you would see 50 amps (12kw) with the addition of that 70 amp breaker. But your car can't accept more than 48 amps.

ChargPoint’s web site and manual both state it is capable of 12.5kw50amp net, with either a 70amp or 80amp fuse and dual 4gauge wires but their charger can only accept dual 6 gauge cable. I don’t care if you work for ChargePoint or live under a bridge. It is false advertising to state those number knowing the unit can NOT accept dual 4 gauge.
Would you do us all a favor and link to WHERE you are finding this information? My review of the data sheet, installation manual, and Chargepoint website turns up no such reference.

Calling people who question you "trolls" is very bad form. If Chargepoint is misrepresenting their product, we would be happy to agree with you, but we haven't been able to see where they have. You've made assertions without evidence. If you tell us where those assertions come from, then we can judge their validity.

It makes a difference if it came from manuals, advertising material, verbally from tech support, your local electrician, or your cousin's, sister's boyfriend.