Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger disappointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my way from NE to FL. Stayed at the Hilton Garden in Rocky Mount SC since they advertised EV chargers. I got up early to charge before leaving and found ICE cars parked in all four stations even though there were about about two dozen open spots 30 feet away. When I informed the desk they stated that they did not control the spaces. What’s the point of being EV friendly if you don’t care about its use? We have a long way to go before EV are respected and accepted by the mainstream.

I know how you feel. I try to stay at hotels with Level 2 charging whenever I can, and often one or more spots are ICEd. It's understandable if you arrive late, and all the spots are already taken by charging EVs, but for them to be blocked is frustrating.

Two suggestions for your next trip. First, call ahead and ask the hotel staff to put a cone in one of the EV charging spots for you. It seems the reaction will be one of two extremes: either they will have done that before and be prepared with cones, or they will be clueless. It can't hurt to ask. Second, go head and plug in as soon as you get to the hotel, if there is a spot available. Waiting until early the next morning is too much tempting fate for me.

Good luck in your future road trips. EVs make road trips adventurous again.

Well, there is a solution, but you are not going to like it. :D

20220621_103749.jpg

Two years ago we visited Tropical Islands water park in Germany. They advertised that they have EV charging..

The stalls were blocked like that. :) First I had park elsewhere, then wait in info desk queue for like 30 minutes, then fill a contract with my personal and car details and pay 80€ deposit until they gave me the key which opens the gate. Then I went to move the car and started charging.

Price for charging was 10€ per hour, but it only charged at 11kW so the price was almost 1€/kWh. We stayed 24h at the place, but I had to come outside again to move the car after few hours because it would have been too expensive to pay for the whole time..

But as you can see, there are plenty of free spots, can't complain! :D

Edit: Oh I forgot I had a picture of the rules too:

20220621_103840.jpg