Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger rate dropping to 16amp after being 32amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys, I have had my model Y for 3 years using a 240 outlet in my garage with a portable tesla charger and it always charged at 32amps until about 3 months ago. I would never get any warnings on why. There were no changes to the installation and it was installed by a licensed electrician 3 years ago. I ended up selling my Y and bought an X. Same issue, it would start at 32amps, then drop to 16amps some time in the middle of the night. No errors on the screen. Any suggestions ?

Hello guys, I have had my model Y for 3 years using a 240 outlet in my garage with a portable tesla charger and it always charged at 32amps until about 3 months ago. I would never get any warnings on why. There were no changes to the installation and it was installed by a licensed electrician 3 years ago. I ended up selling my Y and bought an X. Same issue, it would start at 32amps, then drop to 16amps some time in the middle of the night. No errors on the screen. Any suggestions ?
Have an electrician check the wire terminals for proper torque spec at the 14-50 receptacle and also at the circuit breaker. Over time the connections can loosen. This can cause the receptacle/plug to overheat. The Mobile Connector would detect the overheating condition at the plug end and would reduce the charging amperage from 32 amps to 16 amps or even stop charging.

Another possibility is if you have let the Mobile Connector chassis hang supported by just the power plug adapter. Don't do that. Use a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis (Tesla sells a Cable Organizer kit that includes a mounting bracket, else check on Amazon, EBay or Etsy for Mobile Connector mounting solutions) so there is no additional weight straining the power plug adapter. Over time the additional weight of the Mobile Connector chassis and charging cord can cause the power plug adapter to fail. If the electrician finds no issue with the wire connections then suspect that the 14-50 power plug adapter has developed a bad wire connection and needs to be replaced.

Last edited: