Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger tolerance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife's parking at work has EV-chargers where she can charge for free.
In the first few months charging worked, however we occasionally got a charging error message (in Dutch: "storing laadapparatuur") on our Model 3 .
Then after a while we kept getting the same error message every time.

We tried contacting the owner of the charging stalls to check for error logs, but unfortunately they are not very cooperative. Charging on other Type-2 chargers is working without any problem.

So last week I asked my brother in law if he could test at the same stalls with his Model X and his car was charging without any problems.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference in the onboard charger of the Model X versus the Model 3, and if maybe the tolerance at which the Model 3 can charge is different compared to the Model X?

Anyone has more info in this topic or similar problems where a Model X charged fine but a Model 3 did not?

In the first few months charging worked, however we occasionally got a charging error message (in Dutch: "storing laadapparatuur") on our Model 3 .

We tried contacting the owner of the charging stalls to check for error logs, but unfortunately they are not very cooperative. Charging on other Type-2 chargers is working without any problem.

So last week I asked my brother in law if he could test at the same stalls with his Model X and his car was charging without any problems.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference in the onboard charger of the Model X versus the Model 3, and if maybe the tolerance at which the Model 3 can charge is different compared to the Model X?

Anyone has more info in this topic or similar problems where a Model X charged fine but a Model 3 did not?
Newer Model X onboard chargers have the same max current as the Model 3, so might in fact be the same design. However, it's more likely there really is something amiss with your charging system. While it might not matter to every EVSE, and so your Model 3 might charge normally elsewhere, I would get it checked out. In particular, check to make sure the internal ground connection at the inside of the charging receptacle is firmly connected... poor ground connections can trip some sensitive GFIs...

When you charge, have you looked at the screen as it charges? Does it show any oddities, like voltage fluctuations?