Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging a P100D - questions about house installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I've read quite a few threads but remain confused regarding the charger specs - I have an electrician who will be rehauling my house electricity and wants to know the spec for the EV charger. I'll be buying a P100D and would appreciate if you could help me with:

1- What should i provide him in terms of specs for the charger and the female part
2- Where can I buy the charger to install it

Thank you, sorry for the ignorance of my question!

(You seem to have posted this same question twice.) Teslatap has produced a great guide:

Home Charging Wiring Guide | TeslaTap

If, when you say "the EV charger," you mean the Tesla wall charger, the ideal wiring for that charger is to give it the maximum that its capable of accepting and then let whatever car(s) you're charging dictate how much power to pull. IOW, don't wire the charger based upon any specific car. (This, of course, assumes that your panel/wiring/etc. can support another 100 amp circuit dedicated to the wall charger.)

The advantage of doing this is that 1) you'll always be able to deliver the maximum 80 amps continuous to any Tesla that can accept 80 amps (the earlier Teslas can charge up to 80 amps from the wall charger), and 2) You can have up to four wall chargers sharing the same 100 amp circuit for those times when you are charging more than one Tesla simultaneously. (Teslas have a way of multiplying. We never thought we'd own one Tesla and now we have two.)

Hello Orthopod,
I installed a G E wattstation at home depot($400) when I got my first EV. When I upgraded to a Model S, I asked the Tesla salesperson if I should install a Tesla wall unit instead and he said that he wouldn't. He said that it didn't matter if it took 7 hours or 4 hours to charge at night. Why waste an additional $700 to save time while I am sleeping? I installed it myself (with my son-in-law's face time help) for an additional $50 in materials. The specs on the box should be sufficient for your electrician. If you need the extra charging speed of a Tesla wall charger then go for it( I would have if I didn't alredy have an existing one). The slower speed has never been a problem for me.

Reactions: GeoX750
Hello everyone,

I've read quite a few threads but remain confused regarding the charger specs - I have an electrician who will be rehauling my house electricity and wants to know the spec for the EV charger. I'll be buying a P100D and would appreciate if you could help me with:

1- What should i provide him in terms of specs for the charger and the female part
2- Where can I buy the charger to install it

Thank you, sorry for the ignorance of my question!

To buy online, you can go to:

Silver Wall Connector

Its installation guide and specs are at:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...nstallation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf?201612081439

• Informative
Reactions: whitex
I have a S X &3, I have been using the S UMC plugged into a 14-50 outlet. I dialed down the capacity from 40-30 amps, still sufficient for our needs.
The 14-50 plug is more flexible when using a Wall connector with a pigtail than hardwired.

Attached is the recommended 14-50 outlet, pigtail? and the wall connector; signature Wall connector are now available from $425- 500.
This will be my set up in the spring.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• C9038032-457C-4A10-BC1C-97E51503A9FB.jpeg
    C9038032-457C-4A10-BC1C-97E51503A9FB.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 56686E13-7E17-4117-A31F-13522395B5A3.jpeg
    56686E13-7E17-4117-A31F-13522395B5A3.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 50
  • B863226D-7DE0-458B-B489-FB816BFF8921.jpeg
    B863226D-7DE0-458B-B489-FB816BFF8921.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 53
I have a S X &3, I have been using the S UMC plugged into a 14-50 outlet. I dialed down the capacity from 40-30 amps, still sufficient for our needs.
The 14-50 plug is more flexible when using a Wall connector with a pigtail than hardwired.

Attached is the recommended 14-50 outlet, pigtail? and the wall connector; signature Wall connector are now available from $425- 500.
This will be my set up in the spring.

Hope this helps.
Out of curiosity, what does the $86 NEMA outlet you showed have over a standard one much cheaper? I've been using this one $29 one from lowes (with an enclosure too) for almost 6 years now with a 40A UMC, never any issues. (I think 6 years ago it was $25, meter in the picture was added some time later and of course not included in the $25).

TeslaPowerMeter.png

Out of curiosity, what does the $86 NEMA outlet you showed have over a standard one much cheaper? I've been using this one $29 one from lowes (with an enclosure too) for almost 6 years now with a 40A UMC, never any issues. (I think 6 years ago it was $25, meter in the picture was added some time later and of course not included in the $25).

View attachment 381360
I was going to ask the same. $90 for a 14-50 socket is outrageous.