Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at hotels, caravans, guesthouses, cabins etc with 3 pin plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Juat stayed at an AirBnB that advertised EV charging on the listing but there wasn't any provision at all, which I thought was pretty unfair. I took the listing as full permission to use my 2.5mm extension and charge at 10A overnight.

We've been away for almost a week now, have used Tesco free 7 kW chargers whilst shopping, and the current AirBnB has outside sockets next to the parking spot.

We’ve just come back from an Airbnb in North Wales. Used an extension lead (Toughleads 10m with inline RCD) and Tesla granny charger to fill back up to 90% every night. To be honest I didn’t even think of letting the owner know (not that I was conscious of hiding it either). Even if I’d filled the full 79kwh battery during the stay (which I very much doubt I did over the week) and they were paying 50p p/kWh, it would have been less than 3% of what we’d paid for the cottage for the week. There are so few chargers of any description in North Wales that without this use of the cottage’s electricity we would have had to have done the trip in the missus’ Nissan Juke instead which isn’t even close to big enough.

However, after reading this thread, and now looking back, it would probably have been good manners to have asked first - however a ‘no’ would have meant we’d have had to cancel or look elsewhere.

As so, I’ve emailed the owner of a property we’re staying in in the Cotswolds next week and they were absolutely fine with it. I did explain that the lead I’d be using has an RCD so their electrics should be protected. Again though, even a full battery would be no more than a few % of what we’re paying. Although, as there is a Tesco with PodPoint in the area, I’ll probably use that for most of the daily refills!

I can see the problem on a campsite etc with the electricity having to be shared so many ways and the fact you’re paying very little comparatively per night. But, on an individual property, that you’re paying £1-2k+ for, and if you sensibly protect the house using an RCD, then IMHO there shouldn’t be an issue.

Reactions: WllXM
I can see the problem on a campsite etc with the electricity having to be shared so many ways and the fact you’re paying very little comparatively per night. But, on an individual property, that you’re paying £1-2k+ for, and if you sensibly protect the house using an RCD, then IMHO there shouldn’t be an issue.

The problem is that not all people are sensible like yourself to get a decent lead with protection. So I can see why the default reaction would be a "no"

The problem is that not all people are sensible like yourself to get a decent lead with protection. So I can see why the default reaction would be a "no"
Another interesting point. I've got a pretty heavy duty extension lead that was recommended in a thread on here, but it doesn't have any special features on it. Its just a standard fused plug and lead.

I did think that the Tesla wall charger setup had protections built into it though. Shouldn't they be enough? I might look at RCD options. I've only used it once but i'd hate to cause a bigger problem if/when I do.

I did explain that the lead I’d be using has an RCD so their electrics should be protected.
… and I will explain that an RCD does absolutely nothing to protect their electrics! An RCD only protects downstream from its supply.

Edit: And it doesn’t protect the electrics… it specifically protects humans from being electrocuted.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
Stayed at a lodge site in Betws-Y-Coed in North Wales a couple of weeks ago, the site used to be a holiday caravan site but now just has a few lodges, the benefit was they had lots of the old 32amp blue sockets on all the empty spots. Bought a 32amp adapter for the mobile charger and after them explaining that the breakers for the unoccupied spots were limited to 16amp and were awaiting upgrades (I then accidentally tripped it anyway) I was able to charge back up over night to 80%, their electrical costs were 45p kw/h and after a week I'd used about £35 of electricity which I was happy to pay as North Wales was a bit low on chargers and the convenience of coming back to the lodge and plugging in was appreciated.