Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at RV parks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In some situations, charging at RV parks is the most efficient way to get from A to B on a road trip. When that is the case here are a few things you should know:

RV parks are a relatively low-margin business, and electrical infrastructure is a large capital expense. Wiring, breakers, and receptacles are sized based on normal RV use, which is pretty light compared to the continuous draw of a charging EV. Therefore, RV park owners have a very valid point when they refuse to allow EV charging, or they charge extra for EVs. The extra cost is not so much due to the extra cost of the electricity delivered, which is something, but not very much, but the extra cost in meeting saftey standards for a continuous draw of a high level of power. Larger gauge wire of higher quality, and more robust fixtures are not cheap.

Tesla owners could move the conversation forward by gently educating RV park owners that it is possible to control the amperage that our cars draw from their pedestals. We are in this together, and can approach the situation as a problem to be solved in the interests of everyone. The impact to the electrical infrastructure of an RV park is significantly less with an EV charging at 24 amps instead of 32 amps (which is the default using the standard NEMA 14-50 adapter on 50-amp service at an RV Park). Both amperage levels will get the job done overnight, but dialing down the amps you draw on the screen under "Charging" so that you just meet your target charge level in the time you have, will benefit everyone. Park owners will be less likely to see overheating or damage, and Tesla owners will be less likely to cause damage to undersized electrical infrastructure.

An example: Long Range Model 3s and Ys have about a 75 kWh battery pack. Therefore, to go from 15% state-of-charge to 80% is a difference of 65%. Sixty-five percent of 75 kWh is 48.75 kWh, or rounding-up, 50 kWh. Twenty-four amps times 230 volts is 5.52 kW. Twelve hours times 5.52 kW gives you 66.24 kWh, enough to get about +88% charge, or more than enough in almost any situation. Fast charging is great, but when you are spending the night anyway, all that really matters is that you have enough juice the next morning to get to your next charging station!

Relying on RV campgrounds is fine for now, but the real solution is hotels providing overnight L2 charging. It's growing rapidly but it's not there yet. I'm also fine to pay for such service, just not an unreasonable amount. If it could be on par with local DCFC rates that would be fine. Preferably less.

Next issue is that model 3/Y batteries are going to become far less common as time progresses. Battery capacity is only going to grow. 6 to 7 kW charging won't cut it in ten years. 11kW will be required and we'll likely want to have full 19kW charging for big vehicles like the Hummer, or whatever "road tripping" family vans we see in the 2030s that have 300kWh batteries.

Reactions: CobaltLights
extra cost in meeting saftey standards for a continuous draw of a high level of power.

True but, another very big problem is these outlets are not protected by GFCI circuit breakers. These breakers are mandatory per the NEC for all EV circuits that terminate with a plug. Therefore, technically, you cannot charge at an RV park since almost all of them use standard breakers. So in addition to the valid issues raised by @MikeGracz they would also have to install GFCI breakers.

Reactions: MikeGracz
And what happens when EV RV's become a thing?

Yeah that's rapidly approaching. I've been wondering if the campsite pedestals that have 15, 30, and 50 amp service are typically wired as separate circuits or if there's really only a 50 amp circuit that then has smaller breakers in the box. If they're separate back to distribution then there's a smidge more power.

But I seriously doubt any campground is already prepared for multiple ev RVs to be charging simultaneously. Even smaller van sized RVs would have several hundred amp hours of battery. Charging on a 50amp circuit would take days if you were trying to use the RV while charging it. But that's ok because isn't that the point of being in an RV? Go somewhere and hang out for a while?

Hmm. This is timely.

My little camper doesn't need 50 amps. The most it draws is 9 amps running the AC, fridge and water pump all at once which rarely happens. Those sites are also typically in wide open areas, which I'm not a fan of. Shade is good at a campsite! So the sites I book are 120v 30 amp sites. IIRC the Tesla mobile connector can support more than 15 amps on 120v. Being able to charge at 24 amps @ 120v would be good. It doesn't sound realistic based on this discussion. Even 20 amps would get enough overnight to get to a public fast charger.

So the sites I book are 120v 30 amp sites. IIRC the Tesla mobile connector can support more than 15 amps on 120v. Being able to charge at 24 amps @ 120v would be good. It doesn't sound realistic based on this discussion. Even 20 amps would get enough overnight to get to a public fast charger.
This works at most "30 amp" (TT-30) outlets at RV parks:
You can charge at about 10 mph.

Reactions: DBC-