Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Cable Button doesn't open charging door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me it appears to be an issue with the car sometimes entering a deep sleep (battery saving) state. When my charging door doesn't open using the button on the charging handle, I open one of car doors or wake-up the car using my phone and then press the charging handle button again which always then works. So I think its just an indication that sometimes the car is in a deep sleep mode and doesn't sense the signal from the charging handle or maybe is ignoring it because the car is locked and hasn't yet sensed my nearby phone.

• Informative
Reactions: hgmichna
Picked up my MY 12/18. It has the same issue as posted above. The charger handle button has never opened the port. That includes pressing it once, or pressing and holding it down. It hasn’t worked with the mobile 110v charger that came with the car, nor either of two superchargers I used, nor the newly installed Tesla wall charger. I’ve always had to open the port cover by either using the touchscreen or pressing on the port cover. And my vehicle port cover does not have the configuration shown in the photos above, just a smooth inside black plastic surface with no accessible magnet or other protrusion. It’s set for a service on 1/7, so I’ll report after that.

Picked up my MY 12/18. It has the same issue as posted above. The charger handle button has never opened the port. That includes pressing it once, or pressing and holding it down. It hasn’t worked with the mobile 110v charger that came with the car, nor either of two superchargers I used, nor the newly installed Tesla wall charger. I’ve always had to open the port cover by either using the touchscreen or pressing on the port cover. And my vehicle port cover does not have the configuration shown in the photos above, just a smooth inside black plastic surface with no accessible magnet or other protrusion. It’s set for a service on 1/7, so I’ll report after that.

Yup. Not an issue of it being unlocked/awake either. The button just won't work. However, I do have the magnet inside of the charging door.

Even when door is open, the button still doesn't work on my mobile charger or the supercharger I went to.

By the way, are you looking at the door that flips up and behind it? The magnet thing is in the corner of it.

This is a testament to a monumental stupidity of the Tesla designers. An automatically opening charge port is an idea absolutely as brain-dead as the Model-S doorhandles which fail - gauranteed - within 3-5 years. Tesla took a solved problem in the auto-industry, and un-solved it, "hey lookie here don't we seem cool?", all to the detriment of their consumers, but to the great benefit of the service org ...

I should start a company making 3rd-party charge ports that work just like gascap filler doors. Just pull the dang thing open, and push it closed - problem solved - forever!

• Disagree
Reactions: DanDi58
Have a 2022 Model X with same intermittent charge port door open problems using the charging device. Had it serviced twice with no success. Learned that yesterday, when my third appointment to address it was cancelled. One of the best technicians at Tesla I have come to know, called me saying, it is an engineering issue that is yet to resolved on some cars that meet certain criteria. Wish I had more information to provide. Will add to post when I learn more.

Have a 2022 Model X with same intermittent charge port door open problems using the charging device. Had it serviced twice with no success. Learned that yesterday, when my third appointment to address it was cancelled. One of the best technicians at Tesla I have come to know, called me saying, it is an engineering issue that is yet to resolved on some cars that meet certain criteria. Wish I had more information to provide. Will add to post when I learn more.
My 2023 Model X has the same problem. Did you find out if its a software issue or a hardware issue?

My 2023 Model X has the same problem. Did you find out if its a software issue or a hardware issue?
I believe it was a software problem. For the last 8 months, after software update, it has been working fine. Am sorry, but have no explanation why. I don’t know where you are located. Your best choice is to find a knowledgable informed technician at a reliable service center to investigate. I am in Maryland. At the Ownings Mill center, they did not know what they were doing. The mobile technican through Silver Spring explained it and told me to wait for the update. It is perplexing that your newer Model X is not working. Sorry can’t offer you more.

I believe it was a software problem. For the last 8 months, after software update, it has been working fine. Am sorry, but have no explanation why. I don’t know where you are located. Your best choice is to find a knowledgable informed technician at a reliable service center to investigate. I am in Maryland. At the Ownings Mill center, they did not know what they were doing. The mobile technican through Silver Spring explained it and told me to wait for the update. It is perplexing that your newer Model X is not working. Sorry can’t offer you more.
I can confirm it's a hardware issue not a software one. Here is the bad part:

1758309-10-A

Bluetooth Low Energy 315MHz UHF receiver

s-l1600.jpg