Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Luton V4 "button" on plug does not work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yessuz

Dec 30, 2021
Midlands
Anyone else tried to open charge port door or stop charging/unlock charger while pressing button in SC plug on V4 chargers?

I tried Luton (2 different stalls) but it did not work with my M3 :/

It works just fine with V3 SCs

Reactions: M3noob
I’ve found quite a few are tempremental especially on V4s. I had to stop charge and then unlock from the car screen, remember to do both at its frustrating when you don’t and have to get back in the car a second time

Do you have to press stop and then press unlock if charging at an SC. I don’t have to when charging at home. Pressing unlock works by itself - and obviously it also stops the charge

Not sure about V4s as I haven't used any. But for V2s and V3s you just push the button on the charger and remove the cable. Same as you'd do at home.

I would hope you have to stop charge first, otherwise anyone else could stop your charge and remove connector.

The car needs to be unlocked to remove the connector.

Used the old Perth (Broxden) chargers yesterday. Button on the cable opened the port to allow me to plug in and charge, but for the first time here the button on the cable did not stop charging and unlock cable at the end. Had to use the screen (MX) to unlock the charge port.

Maybe they are disabling it on purpose.
This could be the reason:
As written above, I was worried about how to stop a charging session at the i3 as there is no button at the car’s inlet and no option displayed on the screen of the V4 charging station. The good thing: Tesla solved it conveniently by allowing the user to stop the session by pressing a button at the connector. The bad thing: Anyone can do it while your car is charging (even when the car is locked 🔒️ - I tested it). This might become relevant in peak times - the fight for a charging connector (see our meme at the end). It could be prevented by enhancing the flow, where a user needs to tap the authorization method (card/phone) at the charging station before being allowed to stop the charging session via the button.

The user above mentioned about using credit card as an authorisation - may be Tesla decided to disable the button.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
This could be the reason:
As written above, I was worried about how to stop a charging session at the i3 as there is no button at the car’s inlet and no option displayed on the screen of the V4 charging station. The good thing: Tesla solved it conveniently by allowing the user to stop the session by pressing a button at the connector. The bad thing: Anyone can do it while your car is charging (even when the car is locked 🔒️ - I tested it). This might become relevant in peak times - the fight for a charging connector (see our meme at the end). It could be prevented by enhancing the flow, where a user needs to tap the authorization method (card/phone) at the charging station before being allowed to stop the charging session via the button.

The user above mentioned about using credit card as an authorisation - may be Tesla decided to disable the button.
So turning it off on Superchargers that are open to all EV's. Makes sense.

Big problem I think in the US where anyone can just unplug a CCS1 adapter I think it is when you are not around. People have to get a little plastic lock to stop it.

Yes, non Tesla EVs may have a different way of stopping the charge. Given that anyone can disconnect the charger by pressing the button, Tesla had gone and disabled the button in SCs open to all EVs. I’ll check my local SC (which is open to all EVs and v3) and update.
well no.
if car is locked, you can STOP the carging, but you cannot disconnec the cable. if cable is left in - it resumes charging

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton