Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 charging cables. One from my 2016 Model S (which was totaled in August) and the one for the new Model Y I took delivery on 2 weeks ago. The older cable charges to 40 amps and 25% faster than the new one which will only go to 32 amps. Anyone know anything about this?

Attachments

• Tesla New charger.jpg
    Tesla New charger.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 37
  • Tesla Old charger.jpg
    Tesla Old charger.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 35
Yes the older mobile charger had a higher max charge rate. Can’t remember the differences between the two. But you’re not crazy the gen2 is slower then the gen1.

edit: I think the main difference is the modular ability of the gen 2 and added safety features. Gen1 doesn’t have temperature sensors and shutoffs I believe.

Last edited:
Regardless of gen 1 or 2 both are maxed out at 48amps controlled by the cars electronics and will charge the same on a model Y. As for your cable, not sure what cable you are referring to. Must be a 240v just by looking at the amperage. What are you plugging in to and what adapter is on the end of each cable?

The reason the Gen2 Mobile Connector is limited to 32 amps is there were some electrical fires with the Gen1 Mobile Connector when used at 40 amps.

The Tesla Long Range Model Y and the Performance Model Y can charge at a maximum of 48A (for 240V Level 2 charging.) The currently unavailable Standard Range Model Y is capable of charging at a maximum of 32A (for 240V Level 2 charging.)

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector is capable of supporting charging at up to 48 amps when installed on a dedicated 60 amp circuit.

The Tesla Corded Mobile Connector (available from the Tesla Store web site and currently Out of Stock) is capable of supporting charging at up to 40 amps; the Corded Mobile Connector has a fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug.

• Informative
Reactions: GtiMart and house9