Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging current

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Boza

2021 Model S LR+
Sep 24, 2021
Usa
I have the luxury of using different charging current because I am not usually in a hurry. Does anyone have insights about the optimum current? If is it too high then the BMS kicks in to cool off the battery; if it is too low then the car may be awake for too long. I am talking about L2, not Superchargers.

IMHO ~50% of the circuit rating is probably good. I charge at 20A... plenty fast for what I need and it doesn't take forever.

The heat generated is current squared. So even lowering it to 30A from 40A is going to help reduce thermal stress on connections by ~50% with ~25% slower charging.

IMHO ~50% of the circuit rating is probably good. I charge at 20A... plenty fast for what I need and it doesn't take forever.

The heat generated is current squared. So even lowering it to 30A from 40A is going to help reduce thermal stress on connections by ~50% with ~25% slower charging.
To clarify. I meant battery heat, not cables/junctions.

But it will start the cooling, which has mechanical parts. So, I can lower the current in order for the battery to use passive cooling but that could keep the car awake for hours and hours. So, what is the optimum point?

It really doesn’t matter at all. Any difference is negligible with the exception of very low ~L1 power being particularly inefficient given the relatively high overhead of running the computers and charging circuitry (like 300 watts).

No L2 charging in any normal ambient temperature range is going to cause active battery cooling (as in running the AC compressor). To my knowledge pretty much any charging, regardless of amperage, will cause the coolant pump to run. But that’s more about keeping a uniform temp throughout the pack/modules during charging (a good thing), not trying to dissipate heat.

Reactions: Rocky_H and nwdiver
But it will start the cooling, which has mechanical parts. So, I can lower the current in order for the battery to use passive cooling but that could keep the car awake for hours and hours. So, what is the optimum point?

.... maybe a little but it's just a pump and a fan. If those were components that wore out easily we'd likely hear about it. My 9 year old S hasn't had any problems. Burned out wires connecting HPWCs and UMCs on the other hand.... hear about those A LOT.

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 10.39.01 PM.png