Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging door closing immediately after opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same issue with my Model Y 2024. My dad forced the charging port door closed before I could tell him not to. After that happened, the door would immediately close upon opening. The Tesla charging symbol was solid blue. I tried to reboot, open with voice command, car touch screen, and mobile app to no avail.

It seemed like the Tesla thought the charging door was already open. (There was no option to open the door on the touch screen or mobile app. The only option available was "Unlock Charge Port".)

TLDR:
What worked for me:
* Use the "Close charge port door" voice command.

The Tesla will confirm the command on the touch screen. Once confirmed, I was able to open the charge port door and it stayed open as expected.

Good luck!

I had the same issue with my Model Y 2024. My dad forced the charging port door closed before I could tell him not to. After that happened, the door would immediately close upon opening. The Tesla charging symbol was solid blue. I tried to reboot, open with voice command, car touch screen, and mobile app to no avail.

It seemed like the Tesla thought the charging door was already open. (There was no option to open the door on the touch screen or mobile app. The only option available was "Unlock Charge Port".)

TLDR:
What worked for me:

The Tesla will confirm the command on the touch screen. Once confirmed, I was able to open the charge port door and it stayed open as expected.

Good luck!
You can also say “open Uranus” or “close Uranus” - or a variety of synonyms.

My dad forced the charging port door closed before I could tell him not to
There's no problem slapping the door closed. It's a clutched gear mechanism. You can't grind gears or do any damage by slapping it shut, just the same as (or arguably safer than) closing a CD drawer by pushing it. It's the only way I ever closed the door (give it a good whack) for the nearly 100k miles I had my Model 3.

If you had some trouble with it after doing so, good chance you could set it straight again by just doing it again. Maybe a stiffer whack the next time. 😂 Not even kidding. haha

Key takeaway: Tesla designed this car to last, not to be ruffled by someone pushing an obviously-hinged door closed. These cars are going to last multiple decades... it ain't a delicate exotic car. It's a car, and it's designed with these things in mind.

TLDR:
What worked for me:

Good luck!
I tried every method posted in this thread without success. From the screen inside the vehicle, selecting the “lighting bolt” symbol on the picture of the car finally restored proper function to the charge port door.

It locks with the car.
so as long as NO KEY card/phone is present-the port door remains closed. Will the charge port door unlock/open when it's touched with a super charger connection (if no card/phone present) ?

I also did see (online) a small hand held device (i'm thinking blue tooth enabled) remote for just the charge port door......wondering if ANYONE could purchase this an unlock/open port door ? Ad says "no need to program-use immediately" ?

remote tesla.jpg

The remote open signal is actually much simply than you describe. It's similar to an RF TV remote. The signal doesn't have any security features to it, it simply emits a signal that any car in range will interpret as "open my charge door". That way, any Tesla plug can open the charge door. The Tesla supplied plugs use low power so that you need to be within inches of the charge door for it to work.

There was a DIY device popular on here for people who didn't have Tesla EVSEs to attach to their J1772 plugs to open the charge port door. It was much more powerful and I think that early on, such devices did, humorously, open the charge ports on every car in sight.

However, I'm pretty sure that now if a car is locked it will NOT open the charge door, even if it gets the signal.

The remote open signal is actually much simply than you describe. It's similar to an RF TV remote. The signal doesn't have any security features to it, it simply emits a signal that any car in range will interpret as "open my charge door". That way, any Tesla plug can open the charge door. The Tesla supplied plugs use low power so that you need to be within inches of the charge door for it to work.

There was a DIY device popular on here for people who didn't have Tesla EVSEs to attach to their J1772 plugs to open the charge port door. It was much more powerful and I think that early on, such devices did, humorously, open the charge ports on every car in sight.

However, I'm pretty sure that now if a car is locked it will NOT open the charge door, even if it gets the signal.
Interesting, but I am skeptical this device could work so easily without being paired or set up, but I’m no techie. The point is mute as why would anyone want yet another way to open said door. Do we really need a remote in order for the port to open ?. It’s a redundancy like 5 times.

Interesting, but I am skeptical this device could work so easily without being paired or set up, but I’m no techie. The point is mute as why would anyone want yet another way to open said door. Do we really need a remote in order for the port to open ?. It’s a redundancy like 5 times.
Well, some people are determined to have the latest gizmo. Also, pushing on the charge door can get a little finicky if the car has been asleep, sometimes requiring opening a door to get the car awake. Using the button on the Tesla plug works better for waking the car and getting the charge door to open.

It's rarely a problem, because people usually plug in right after they park, so the car hasn't had time to go to sleep.

TLDR:
What worked for me:

Good luck!
this seemed to have worked for me, although my symptoms were slightly different.