Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging door closing immediately after opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been having this problem of the charge port opening when I push the sensor / charging cable button and then the door closes again after about half a second. I have to then wait 5 to 10 seconds to try again and the flap will stay open so that I can charge on the second go. Tesla wants to charge me for a replacement charge flap, which suggests that this is not a software / reboot issue
Should have started a new thread about this new issue that not even related to the old thread. This is a new bug in a new software.

Reactions: FalconFour
Mine was doing the same thing but then also one day wouldn't release a supercharger (I mention this in another thread, stranded for hours). This Tuesday they are replacing charger ECU. What really weird is that the alerts that I received from the night of the issue showed up about 3 days later...tech said "yea, charger ECU doesn't seem to be communicating well". We will see.

I've been having this problem of the charge port opening when I push the sensor / charging cable button and then the door closes again after about half a second. I have to then wait 5 to 10 seconds to try again and the flap will stay open so that I can charge on the second go. Tesla wants to charge me for a replacement charge flap, which suggests that this is not a software / reboot issue
We've been having this same issue recently. Did a reboot with the two scroll wheels and then tried the charger immediately thereafter. The charge port then worked as it should. May be just a coincidence but might be worth a try.

Always recommended after a firmware update for these little hiccups. I've just made it SOP for myself.

No, it is not in the manual or any Tesla communication that I have seen; just heard from enough folks and my own experience to decide it was smart to do.
Two-button reboot (with or without the placebo brake) is just rebooting the MCU, the display, nothing more. A reboot is already part of the update process. In fact, an update makes a more complete reboot of the entire car (similar to the *actual* complete reboot I posted) than anything else. It's easy to do, but it's like any other superstitious ritual.

Two-button reboot (with or without the placebo brake) is just rebooting the MCU, the display, nothing more. A reboot is already part of the update process. In fact, an update makes a more complete reboot of the entire car (similar to the *actual* complete reboot I posted) than anything else. It's easy to do, but it's like any other superstitious ritual.
Well, considering how many repetitive issues have been resolved by the MCU reboot post-firmware update, I shall continue doing it. I've even had Service Center technical people mention it as well.

And I am quite aware of the different levels of reboot.

Reactions: FalconFour
Well, considering how many repetitive issues have been resolved by the MCU reboot post-firmware update, I shall continue doing it. I've even had Service Center technical people mention it as well.

And I am quite aware of the different levels of reboot.
Anyone that's aware that the brake pedal is nothing but a placebo for a soft reboot, and knows about the hard reboot procedure, is OK in my book.

😀👒👌 tip of the hat and much respect!

My Tesla also started doing that after the most recent update. I can't imagine how it's not a software issue as there is no reason for it to malfunction other than something breaking as a result of poor manufacturing. My Tesla is approaching 80K km and I had purchased it in 2019. I'm scared my problems are starting as I'm near (or already passed) the end of my warranty.

Earlier I posted that the scroll wheel reboot seemed to address the quick opening and closing of the charge port. Well, it only worked for one subsequent opening; perhaps a coincidence. Yesterday we got the 2021.44.6 software update and the charge port door has worked properly since that time (tried it several times). Hopefully that is a permanent resolution.

Earlier I posted that the scroll wheel reboot seemed to address the quick opening and closing of the charge port. Well, it only worked for one subsequent opening; perhaps a coincidence. Yesterday we got the 2021.44.6 software update and the charge port door has worked properly since that time (tried it several times). Hopefully that is a permanent resolution.

Thanks. I had opened a Repair request with Tesla for this. I'm not sure if it's related or not but I got the new firmware update later that day. I updated the car today while out and when I came home it didn't have that problem.

Hopefully that's the end of that. I do have a new problem where charging is interrupted randomly, it stops for like ten minutes and then continues again, it was happening since same time the charging port issue had started. Not sure why. Nothing on my home side from what I've assessed... Let's see what Tesla says.

After posting this, I got a message from Tesla about the appointment with an estimate. I'm surprised to get it at this time but the estimate is for $967 including taxes. I

I'm so confused... Shouldn't the service centre know that it's a software issue and has been resolved rather than making me replace the universal mobile connectors? Or maybe this has to do with the random charging stops.. but I'm also confused why the warranty isn't covering it or are these mobile connectors aren't part of Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty

Last edited:
Hi, I’ve been experiencing the same issue on my MY. I have the latest software installed on both phone and car. Didn’t coincide with any update, just started happening when I got home last night and again this morning. I can’t get the charge cable in without holding the flap open and then I just get an error when trying to charge. Has anyone had a solution from Tesla?

Literally started happening to me yesterday. I'm going to message Tesla and see if they have an update.
I booked a service appointment. They did a remote diagnostic today and I have a mobile technician coming next week. If I quickly grab the flap when it opens I can hold it open while I insert the charge cable and then it shuts down on the cable and charges normally. That’ll have to do for now. The car is only 3 months old.

I had this happen to my car as well. I also solved it.

The door would open, but then immediately close again while the charge light remained in its "ready" state... and more perplexing, I was still able to charge and Supercharge while it was trying to eat the cord constantly. I really didn't want this to continue and actually break something...

Since I was already well-immersed in tinkering with the car, I had the routine to do a complete shutdown/reset down to a science at this point. So that's what I did.

This is how you do a complete shutdown/reset. The "two-button reboot" does absolutely nothing for anything unrelated to the MCU, as it just reboots the screen. This, though, completely restarts all the car systems:
1) Open the frunk.
2) Lift the big plastic panel around the windshield wipers out of the way. It just snaps out, so just lift.
3) Get a 10mm socket or wrench, and loosen the negative terminal of the 12v battery quite a bit, so it'll loosely slide off - but more importantly, so it'll fully seat back on the post when you come back later. (Note, don't remove the cable from the connector - that's the other bolt - but rather loosen the clamp that holds it to the post on the battery)
4) Lift the negative terminal off the battery post. Swing the cable out of the way and hook it on something so it doesn't flop back onto the battery. Or have someone hold it.
5) Walk to the passenger side rear door, and give a confused look as you open the door and the car is still powered up? Wuh? Yeah, the 12v battery isn't actually used for anything while the car is awake (idle/not in sleep mode). The entire car and all its accessories are powered by the PCS (power conversion system) built into the main battery, which you need to unplug next. Digest this information and pass it on to anyone that says "Sentry wears out the 12v battery" ;)
6) There's a little rotating plastic latch under the lower lip of the rear seat on each side. You can lift both and remove the seat, or (more simply) just lift the passenger side of the seat, revealing a dense grey Styrofoam-like block.
7) Lift that block out of the way, noting which way it came out, so you can return it again in a few seconds.
8) There's a grey/black data connector there. Attack! To unplug it, there's a lever on the side. This lever should press/rotate outward and down towards the battery/floor to disengage it. When you unplug it, you'll hear a "clunk" as the car powers off.
9) Great, now push the top of that grey/black plug to reconnect it and lock the lever back where you found it.
10) Replace that foam block and click the seat back into place.
11) Take a few seconds to think how cool that is. Swear you'll tell at least 5 people that the 12v battery doesn't actually power anything, and they can be slightly more educated on electricity ;) (it powers the car when it's totally asleep, but other than that, all the 12v stuff is driven by the main battery and the PCS!)
12) Go back to the front and plug the 12v battery negative terminal back in. Make sure it's fully seated.
13) Screw it back tight again with that 10mm tool.
14) Replace the plastic shield, snap it down all around the edges so there's no gaps sticking out.
15) Close the frunk and hop back in the car so you can watch it boot back up.
16) Et voila, a complete reboot.

Really wish Tesla would just implement a "reboot the darn car" button, like they do during updates...!

But with this, my weird charging flap problem was fixed, and hasn't recurred since then.
Thank you for this!! This fixed the flappy door issue on my 22 m3 lr

Just doubling back on this from my experience - the tech replaced the charge port ECU and all issues went away....works perfectly and quickly for the past year. Does nothing "strange". I'd recommend anyone that has a strange acting charge port door to recommend this replacement before warranty runs out.

isnt there like 4-5 different ways to open charge port, like voice command,physically touch the port door, icon on touch screen, press power button on mobile charger, pull emergency cable in trunk, etc

surely they did not ALL fail ?

Did U see if it was frozen shut ?