Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging from solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Switzerland, with 10KW of solar panels and I'd like to use the surplus electricity (about 30KWh/day) to charge a Tesla Y. None of the suggested questions seem to address this specific situation.

At a minimum, I'd like to be able to say something like: You can charge at a rate of X amps from 09:00 until 16.00 every day, and hope for sunny weather.

The ideal situation would allow me to connect to the Tesla (say from a PC, over WiFi) and tell it to start charging when I see plentiful sunlight; and then later, when it rains, tell it to stop charging (programming isn't an issue, if there's an available API). If it takes a few days, that's fine, I use my car rarely.

To keep it straightforward, assume no powerwalls, pre-conditioning or departure times.

Can this be done?

If you rarely drive why not just leave the Tesla plugged in? Set the charging limit to ~60% and set the maximum charging amperage to 8 amps (~1kW @120 volts). If you want to ensure that the Tesla only charges during the day you set Scheduled Departure - Charging to always complete by 1700 hours.

This is probably what you're looking for. The title of the thread says "New" but it was started in 2016. It's with the Generation 2 wall connectors, they had that master/slave signaling to control the activation of other wall connectors. So people started a project to use small computers like a Raspberry Pi to just send that control signal directly, based on various programmed inputs. And one of the main profiles people wanted it for was monitoring solar output to trigger turning on the wall connector only when there was solar electricity being generated.

The thread is 30 pages long, so I recommend maybe looking through the last 5 or 10 pages to see more of how the recent development is.

If you rarely drive why not just leave the Tesla plugged in? Set the charging limit to ~60% and set the maximum charging amperage to 8 amps (~1kW @120 volts). If you want to ensure that the Tesla only charges during the day you set Scheduled Departure - Charging to always complete by 1700 hours.
Because when I do go out for a long drive and come back in the evening, I don't want it to charge until the sun is well up the next morning, and I want it to stop at 17:00 whether it's finished charging or not. Finally, I want it to charge completely, but only during the day, even if it takes a few days.

This is probably what you're looking for. The title of the thread says "New" but it was started in 2016. It's with the Generation 2 wall connectors, they had that master/slave signaling to control the activation of other wall connectors. So people started a project to use small computers like a Raspberry Pi to just send that control signal directly, based on various programmed inputs. And one of the main profiles people wanted it for was monitoring solar output to trigger turning on the wall connector only when there was solar electricity being generated.

The thread is 30 pages long, so I recommend maybe looking through the last 5 or 10 pages to see more of how the recent development is.

I am extremely grateful for your prompt reply, that's exactly what I was looking for 👍

Reactions: Rocky_H