Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging habits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You dont say what car you have. For all non LFP cars it's now 80% and for LFP cars you just charge to 100% and forget about it.

30 miles commute is considered average daily. Being that you car will be able to to at least closer to 200 per day, this is not really allot of mileage.

Reactions: init6
At 40 miles per day, I would say you want to charge it every 3 days even this time of the year to be comfortable (we used to have a 2020 SR). If you have at home charging, you just charge every day or every other if you have two cars and one charger.

From the manual:
Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the high voltage Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks.

There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

Reactions: Pink Duck
At 40 miles per day, I would say you want to charge it every 3 days even this time of the year to be comfortable (we used to have a 2020 SR). If you have at home charging, you just charge every day or every other if you have two cars and one charger.
I do have a home charger but even so bit of a faff charging it every other day, is it right that the battery level shouldn't drop below 20% as it's bad for it or is this another strange myth?

is it right that the battery level shouldn't drop below 20% as it's bad for it or is this another strange myth?
Not sure about LFP but if I get home below 20% I charge immediately (well, enough to get higher than 20%), rather than let it sit "low" until overnight cheap rate.

LFP is happy being regularly charged to 100%, but for non-LFP I only ever charge to 100% shortly before setting off. Again, not good to let it [non-LFP] sit there for prolonged periods.

But ... there are Airport Taxis that have charged to 100% overnight, every night, and been left at that level until the driver sets off tomorrow, and also regularly charged at Supercharger ... and no significant ill effects noticed.

just a bit of a faff charging it every day is all

I have my charger where I park ... so when I come home I park and plug in. But, yeah, if you have to do car-shuffle on the drive to get the right car next to the charger, or something like that, I can see that would be a hassle.

My view is that I MIGHT need to go somewhere tomorrow, and I'd like the car to have plenty of charge. Can't remember the last time that happened though ... but I have had family illness, etc., where I have needed to "go far, unexpectedly", and its not like Petrol where a fill-up is only 5 minutes.

You must be particularly faff averse. Takes me less than 10 seconds to plug in and probably 15 to unplug, but I do have a charger with a tethered cable. It's much less faff than buying new diesel once a week.
It is probably due to the fact that I don't have a tethered cable and have to get the cable out of my boot every time, not so bad when it's not raining but when it is, yes it's a faff lol

Reactions: WannabeOwner