Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging help....Getting a Pacifica Hybrid (already have a model s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are taking delivery of a Pacifica Hybrid (we’ve got 5 kids)in a couple weeks. I have a Model S 90D and have wall charger installed (2 yrs ago - newer generation able to daisy chain) in our garage on a dedicated 100amp circuit.

I’m debating if I should buy a new wall charger and daisy chain with an adapter for the Pacifica.....or if I should put in a 220V or just plug into the 120V outlet.....

Has anyone daisy chained? If so is it pretty straightforward? Is all of this overkill for the Pacifica hybrid?

Any input is appreciated!

Given the lower electric range of the Pacifica, I would just try the normal 15A, 120 V plug. It’s 16 KWh, so will easily fill overnight with 120V. Depending on your driving needs, If you need to exceed the nominal range on most days, then add a 30A EVSE like a Clipper Creek HCS-40. You can probably get a non-approved adaptor, but I’d be nervous about the risks.

Should have bought an X instead. Was it the cost difference? We need more info to give you a good answer. What is the gauge/size of your wire supplying your current EVSE? How far away is your charge spot from your service panel box? In my case, I have 2 power lines run. One 60 amp breaker for my Tesla usable 48 amps and one 30 amp breaker for my two Leafs at usable 24 amps.

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the 120V route....will likely get driven <30miles a day shuttling the kids around. The Model S is our workhorse vehicle - already have 76k miles on it in two years (car used for my work).

Model X just wasn’t practical enough for little kids...the sliding doors and more cargo space make the Pacifica an attractive option for us with little kids (0, 3, 5, 6, 9 yrs old!). Much more space behind the 3rd row of seats for stroller, etc. I’ve driven the X as a loaner and the kids did get a kick out of the X-mas snow!

I appreciate the feedback - small battery, 120V it likely is! It’s only 30miles electric only too....so I guess it’s not the end of the world if it occasionally doesn’t get the full charge. Speaking of which, it appears you always full-charge these things....

Reactions: Jo-
I think I've read the Pacifica PHEV is one of the J1772's not compatible with the Tesla -> J1772 adapters.

I'm considering a Pacificia too and would get install max charging it can handle. I see a scenario, especially with kids, where you've got a morning and afternoon rush. Being able to do both on electricity would be great. If you only have 1,500 watts you might be burning more gas than if you had more power.

***from Teslatap
*Through thorough testing we have learned that the TeslaTap will work on Pacifica's and Honda's with the following exceptions:
If using a High Power Wall Connector it must not be set for over 80 AMPS or under 32 AMPS.
Only compatible with some of the new Tesla Model 3 UMC's and you must use only the NEMA 14-50 or 5-15 connector.

Reactions: 3mp_kwh
We are taking delivery of a Pacifica Hybrid (we’ve got 5 kids)in a couple weeks. I have a Model S 90D and have wall charger installed (2 yrs ago - newer generation able to daisy chain) in our garage on a dedicated 100amp circuit.

I’m debating if I should buy a new wall charger and daisy chain with an adapter for the Pacifica.....or if I should put in a 220V or just plug into the 120V outlet.....

Has anyone daisy chained? If so is it pretty straightforward? Is all of this overkill for the Pacifica hybrid?

Any input is appreciated!
I didn't think that there were any daisy chain options from Tesla to non-Tesla charging, as well as no adapter.

I'd probably suggest setting the Tesla charger down to 48A and adding a NEMA 14-50 plug off of the circuit for The Pacifica EVSE.

Is throttling down to 48amps necessary if it is on a 100amp circuit? The Chrysler maxes out at 30amps.....or do you need a buffer?
What did you end up doing? I have a Pacifica eHybrid and a Model 3 SR+, bought in the opposite order than you you though. Consequently, we have a Juicebox Pro 40 EVSE supplying both vehicles.

While you can use the 120v EVSE that comes with the Pacifica, it can be painfully slow. I would also recommend getting a Level 2 charger for the Pacifica as well.

Reactions: UnicornDriver
Picked up the Pacifica on Monday....currently just charging on a 110v outlet. They only go 30 miles all electric and I came to the conclusion that we don’t need to rapid charge it. I really don’t want to throttle down my Tesla hpwc to accommodate a faster charge for the Pacifica - like charging at 72A too much!