Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging history and percentages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup. This is what mine says. Based on this. I will leave it at 70 and see how it goes. Thanks all!

Another data point for the older cars. Years ago Elon responded to a tweet and stated that the best storage SoC was 50-62% and operating SoC mostly between 30 to 70%, if you wanted the pack to last 15 years or so.

By following this you might get slightly less degradation than others, but it won't necessarily protect you from a sudden pack failure.

Ask me how I know...🥺

Reactions: zoomer0056
Nick, I think the only “to what percentage should I charge” answer which is pretty much universally accepted is “don’t charge to 100% unless you’re going to start driving the moment charging is complete.” I could be wrong, but I think it’s close to universally accepted that it’s not good for the battery to let it sit at 100%.

I have 240k miles on my 2015 85D and charge to 90% at home for my commute in one direction, Supercharging at the other end. At home I set my Amp rate such that it will finish just before it’s time to head out.
I usually drive in an hour or so after the charging is completed. I don't have charging at home anymore so I usually go between 80 to 100 percent charge. This is mostly at work and I alternate between the Tesla and the Bolt. Recently on a trip to San Diego and back I got exactly 296 miles and I could have easily gone a few miles more.

Another data point for the older cars. Years ago Elon responded to a tweet and stated that the best storage SoC was 50-62% and operating SoC mostly between 30 to 70%, if you wanted the pack to last 15 years or so.

By following this you might get slightly less degradation than others, but it won't necessarily protect you from a sudden pack failure.

Ask me how I know...🥺
What year? What model? What happened? Was it covered still?