Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging history and percentages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep my car at 90 percent.
I bought it used and have two questions.

1. Is there anyway to see what the previous owner would charge the battery to or how many times it was charged to 100 ?

2, 90 percent seems high. Seems there is no consensus on the best sweet spot level. What’s you thoughts on the right percentage? (I don’t drive more than 40 miles per day max)

I keep my car at 90 percent.
I bought it used and have two questions.

1. Is there anyway to see what the previous owner would charge the battery to or how many times it was charged to 100 ?

2, 90 percent seems high. Seems there is no consensus on the best sweet spot level. What’s you thoughts on the right percentage? (I don’t drive more than 40 miles per day max)

1. No.

2. The charge screen in the car recommends 80%, so use that.

The charge screen in the car….i don’t see where it recommends 80 percent. Can you screen shot what I need to be looking for ?
That shows only for cars on 2023.26 or later softeare and looks like this
20231001_162840.jpg

2. The charge screen in the car recommends 80%, so use that.
Not necessarily what's shown for all cars..
That shows only for cars on 2023.26 or later softeare and looks like this
View attachment 982305
It's actually not tied just to the software level, but also the vintage of Model S. My mid-2106 MS90D is currently on s/w release 2023.32.7 and the daily range shown on the charging screen shows and anywhere from 50-90%.

So while the newer, Palladium platform (latest redesign with horizontal center screen) may give recommendation of 80% for upper end of the daily range, I think you may find those with older vintage cars, like @100d likely see something more like what mine shows.
IMG_5711.jpeg

It's actually not tied just to the software level, but also the vintage of Model S. My mid-2106 MS90D is currently on s/w release 2023.32.7 and the daily range shown on the charging screen shows and anywhere from 50-90%.

So while the newer, Palladium platform (latest redesign with horizontal center screen) may give recommendation of 80% for upper end of the daily range, I think you may find those with older vintage cars, like @100d likely see something more like what mine shows.
View attachment 982316
Good info. Between these two pics, one will be able to know where to look to see daily recommendation.

@100d - to your basic question of what level to charge to, the battery purist will likely say that lithium ion batteries like to be stored long term around 50% SOC. However, there are a whole multitude of factors that impact rate of cell degradation, and the relative impact of 50% vs. 60% vs 70% vs 80% are likely much less of a factor than other influences in the overall operating profile.

My two cents, is pick a level, anywhere between 50-80% that feels comfortable for you, says if you'd suddenly end up needing to do a longer trip wouldn't cause you to get caught exposed, and don't worry about it. Also, charging every day isn't an absolute either. I've adopted the tendency myself of charging to 80%, then not bothering charging again until I'm getting maybe down in the 50-60% range.

In reality, my car has sat for most of the past 3 years not being driven as I've spent most of my time on oversea work assignment. During that period when I was away, I'd charge my car to 80%, then let it sit for 6ish weeks until is slowly dropped down to near 50%, and then recharge back to 80%. Over that time my car has tended to show no impact in the apparent degradation of my battery. I'm actually to the state where for the past couple years is been pretty flat at about 8.5% apparent degradation with no real change.

View attachment 982316
Yup. This is what mine says. Based on this. I will leave it at 70 and see how it goes. Thanks all!

Reactions: zoomer0056
As has been stated above, the best answer for "daily" charging will depend on the vintage of your car and thus the battery chemistry it uses. However one thing I have noticed in my 2013 MS85 is that if I charge to 80% or above, the fans and other HVAC system components tend to stay on for an extended period of time after charging is completed. I've read elsewhere that this is because 80% SOC is a threshold for the thermal management, at least for this generation of MS, where it controls the battery temperature much more aggressively.
Since running these systems drains power much faster than not, I have settled on 75% as my daily setpoint and haven't noticed any such extended HVAC system operation as well lower SOC drops when the car sits for many hours or even days after charging is completed.

Ohhhh. I see. Well what’s that based on?
Nobody knows how Tesla came up with this. But there is a lot of speculation. I think the best speculation is that this range of charge is a balance between treating the battery for its health and getting good daily range in miles. You want max miles but charging to 100% is bad for the battery. You want the battery to not degrade but keeping it at a low SOC won't give you many miles. So it's a compromise .

Reactions: jsmay311