Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging history and percentages

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t overthink it. 80% max for daily use. If you don’t need that much and prefer to lower, go for it. Key is to not charge to 100% unless absolutely needed and when you do, drive soon after vs letting it sit at full charge.
For older cars, as mentioned above, the battery coolant heater will kick on/stay on around that level so I charge to 75% just to avoid unnecessary wear.

Reactions: 100d
Not necessarily what's shown for all cars..

It's actually not tied just to the software level, but also the vintage of Model S. My mid-2106 MS90D is currently on s/w release 2023.32.7 and the daily range shown on the charging screen shows and anywhere from 50-90%.

So while the newer, Palladium platform (latest redesign with horizontal center screen) may give recommendation of 80% for upper end of the daily range, I think you may find those with older vintage cars, like @100d likely see something more like what mine shows.
View attachment 982316
Yes, older vintages now show 90%. This has changed as they also used to show 80%. Not sure when that happens but would guess in the last 3 to 6 months.

Yes, older vintages now show 90%. This has changed as they also used to show 80%. Not sure when that happens but would guess in the last 3 to 6 months.
I've never had my mid-2016 MS90D ever show me anything other than 50-90% as the "daily" range.

If I go all the way back to when I first got my car, the charging screen instead of just a slider had a toggle up/down type of buttons. From 50-90 percent the "up" toggle would jump in 10% increments. Only when you got past 90% it would shift to jumping in 2% increments.

So my basic comment stands ... the daily range that is shown is a function of the type of vehicle (model and general age).

I do not disagree, just sharing my experience on a 2018 S75D. Showed 50-80% for daily as a recommendation for the last 4.5 years and now shows 50-90%. It must have been pushed as part of an update. Could be a function of many things (model, age, battery type and/or degradation) or experience acquired with the large fleet now showing that charging to 90% regularly does not affect degradation. With Tesla you never know.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Too much overthinking going on. I charge to 100% whenever I'm going to need it. There are days when my car is not driven or charged. I live in a condo and do not have charging at home. I own a 18 M3LR and just yesterday got exactly 300 miles on a 100% charge. Just drive the car and enjoy.

Reactions: aerodyne
Oh OK. So far I've driven 30 miles and 90% remaining
Nick, I think the only “to what percentage should I charge” answer which is pretty much universally accepted is “don’t charge to 100% unless you’re going to start driving the moment charging is complete.” I could be wrong, but I think it’s close to universally accepted that it’s not good for the battery to let it sit at 100%.

I have 240k miles on my 2015 85D and charge to 90% at home for my commute in one direction, Supercharging at the other end. At home I set my Amp rate such that it will finish just before it’s time to head out.

Nick, I think the only “to what percentage should I charge” answer which is pretty much universally accepted is “don’t charge to 100% unless you’re going to start driving the moment charging is complete.” I could be wrong, but I think it’s close to universally accepted that it’s not good for the battery to let it sit at 100%.

I have 240k miles on my 2015 85D and charge to 90% at home for my commute in one direction, Supercharging at the other end. At home I set my Amp rate such that it will finish just before it’s time to head out.
Hi Steve, how long is your commute? That sounds like about the cheapest possible way you could have a daily drive like that back and forth to work, if your maintenance costs have been reasonable.
(Reason I'm asking: I have a 2014 S 85 with 135k miles, and would love to keep it rolling as long as possible...)
cheers,
Marty

Hi Steve, how long is your commute? That sounds like about the cheapest possible way you could have a daily drive like that back and forth to work, if your maintenance costs have been reasonable.
(Reason I'm asking: I have a 2014 S 85 with 135k miles, and would love to keep it rolling as long as possible...)
cheers,
Marty
Hi Marty. My commute is about 220 miles round trip, though I usually spend a few nights before returning home and tgat often includes another 70 miles of driving.

Unfortunately I think battery life is probably more determined by time than miles. What’s your battery degradation? I’m at 11.5%. I’m guessing you’re about the same.

Hi Marty. My commute is about 220 miles round trip, though I usually spend a few nights before returning home and tgat often includes another 70 miles of driving.

Unfortunately I think battery life is probably more determined by time than miles. What’s your battery degradation? I’m at 11.5%. I’m guessing you’re about the same.
11.5% deg is really good given the age of the car.

Yep, pretty close, I'm at about 10% degradation... it's been a great car and I'm hoping to get many more miles out of it!
Marty

This recommendation is also in the mobile app. If you set Charge Level > 80%, it will show you a tip about 80% as a recommended charging level. I have tested this on Model 3, someone can check if it is the same on a Model S.
Like my comment above, this recommendation messages are car dependent/battery vintage/type dependent. I do not get any notifications setting my mid-2016 MS90D to 90% either on-screen in the car or through the mobile app.