Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Banff and Lake Louise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mtns

2022 MYLR
Feb 19, 2022
Oregon
We’re planning a trip that includes these towns this July and I’m wondering how crowded the free destination chargers get in the summer. Based on our plans for day trips and then continuing to Jasper, we will need to charge in Banff and Lake Louise even if we charge to 100% at the Canmore Supercharger. Does anyone have any insight?

I was at Banff and Jasper last summer. Most of the Park has destination charger and Tesla branded J1772. The parks are busy but not much people using the charger. Max 4 hours EV charging and parking. The Lake Louie parking can get really full, I was there before 7am and the parking is already 3/4 full. Most people takes the shuttle from the town to Lake Louie. If you go really early it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Mtns
Banff has a variety of free L2 chargers and usually they're active but not all full. Also, most hotels with parkades have some L1 plugs available that you can get a good top up in overnight and/or during the day as well if you're able to take a bus and shuttle around. It's slow driving since there are so many tourists. You can get around faster in Banff by walking/biking. There are busses and shuttles all over the place.

Reactions: KevinT3141 and Mtns
I am glad that we visited Banff and Jasper during Covid where there were no cross border travels. The places were quiet... devoid of tour busses and hordes of tourists! Amazing experience.
While Lake Louise and Moraine lake get alot of attention, a favourite of ours was the Maligne lake cruise to check out these fjord-like mountains.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
As
I am glad that we visited Banff and Jasper during Covid where there were no cross border travels. The places were quiet... devoid of tour busses and hordes of tourists! Amazing experience.
While Lake Louise and Moraine lake gets alot of attention, a favourite of ours was the Maligne lake cruise to check out these fjord-like mountains.
Darn right.... aside from the ridiculous masking and vaccination guidelines, it was a great time to be a local Canadian tourist. Ski resorts were more pleasant and great deals to be had cat skiing and heli-skiing too, since most of their usual visitors are foreigners!

There's won't be any high powered charging in Lake Louise for a long time. there's not enough capacity in that area on the power lines and transformers.

There's a L3 charger in Field which isn't far, but unfortunately 93N to Jasper is a long stretch for any vehicle.

There's won't be any high powered charging in Lake Louise for a long time. there's not enough capacity in that area on the power lines and transformers.

There's a L3 charger in Field which isn't far, but unfortunately 93N to Jasper is a long stretch for any vehicle.

Is it confirmed? There are so many hotels and Parks Canada RV campground with 14-50 outlets in each site. I find it hard to believe they can't at least put 72kw Urban Superchargers at Lake Louise Village.

Also, why would they put Lake Louise in the latest Supercharger voting if there is no possibility of building one?

For the ski resort:
From: Lake Louise Ski Area Long-Range Plan Detailed Impact Analysis
1717531072851.png

I'm having a hard time finding the information on powerline transmission or substation capacity in Lake Louise. I'll post back if I can find it.

Reactions: Kenypowa
I have done the Canmore to Jasper trip twice in my 2018 Model X. I have skipped the L2’s in Banff and Lake Louise. Requires charging to 100% in Canmore. If you stick to the 90 km/hr posted speed limit through the parks from Canmore to Jasper, you should arrive in Jasper with 15% or so charge left in your LR Model Y. Same for return trip. Hope this helps.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Older 1995 information, however I think much of this is still relevant as the 551L tranmission line is still in place :
1717551576597.png
1717551599110.png
1717551633539.png

1717551720289.png

An 8-stall SuperCharger station can use up to 2MW. Which is significant and would be a massive percentage of the power of the transmission line going to the LL town site.

The distribution lines coming from the east side of the highway only has 16MW of capacity on it. Guaranteed the Chateau and the townsite itself is already using a good chunk of that.
1717562821026.png