Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in murrysvillle, pa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arggggg, my in-laws have a nema 14-30 and not a 14-50. I even bought an extension cord in anticipation of this trip. Meh!

Anyone nearby that can help a brotha out?

There's a couple of J1772 chargers not too far, but thought I'd try to make a new friend :)

I am assuming that you bought a NEMA 14-50 extension cord. You can cut the neutral plug off of the NEMA 14-50 extension cord and plug that into their 14-30 receptacle. Then, plug your UMC into the 14-50R end of the extension cord using your 14-50 Tesla adapter. Before plugging in the cord, dial the amps down, in the car, to 24 amps maximum. You are using a 30 amp dryer circuit, but the car will think you are connected to a 50 amp circuit because you are using a 14-50 adapter on the end of your UMC. You can then use this extension cord for 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 charging. Label the extension cord as "Tesla charging ONLY", and dial down the amps to 24 amps when plugging into a 14-30. There is no need to dial down the amps when plugging into a 14-50 or a 14-60.

I am assuming that you bought a NEMA 14-50 extension cord. You can cut the neutral plug off of the NEMA 14-50 extension cord and plug that into their 14-30 receptacle. Then, plug your UMC into the 14-50R end of the extension cord using your 14-50 Tesla adapter. Before plugging in the cord, dial the amps down, in the car, to 24 amps maximum. You are using a 30 amp dryer circuit, but the car will think you are connected to a 50 amp circuit because you are using a 14-50 adapter on the end of your UMC. You can then use this extension cord for 14-30, 14-50, and 14-60 charging. Label the extension cord as "Tesla charging ONLY", and dial down the amps to 24 amps when plugging into a 14-30. There is no need to dial down the amps when plugging into a 14-50 or a 14-60.
AHHHH, that might work. Just to clarify.... The neutral prong is the bottom (opposite ground)? Bc that's the odd man out. Also, can I cut the entire prong off or do I need to trim it to fit? Thanks

AHHHH, that might work. Just to clarify.... The neutral prong is the bottom (opposite ground)? Bc that's the odd man out. Also, can I cut the entire prong off or do I need to trim it to fit? Thanks

You can cut off the entire prong. I made a shorter adapter doing just that. It works great. Yes, the neutral is the funny shaped prong opposite the ground prong. The Tesla does not use the neutral prong at all.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
Just to clarify. On a 14-50 the neutral is a vertical blade plug, like the other two power blades. On a 14-30 the neutral is an L-shaped plug. On a 14-60, the neutral is a horizontal blade plug, turned 90 degrees from the other two power blades. On all three, the ground plug is round. Cut the neutral blade on your extension cord off completely. Then NEVER use this extension cord for anything other than a Tesla. You may be tempted to use it to power an RV, for example, but it will not work right. It will only provide 240 volts to the RV, but NOT 120 volts because you cut off the neutral plug.

• Informative
Reactions: MGMDaware
Just to clarify. On a 14-50 the neutral is a vertical blade plug, like the other two power blades. On a 14-30 the neutral is an L-shaped plug. On a 14-60, the neutral is a horizontal blade plug, turned 90 degrees from the other two power blades. On all three, the ground plug is round. Cut the neutral blade on your extension cord off completely. Then NEVER use this extension cord for anything other than a Tesla. You may be tempted to use it to power an RV, for example, but it will not work right. It will only provide 240 volts to the RV, but NOT 120 volts because you cut off the neutral plug.
Got it. Thanks everyone!

Any recommendations on how to cut off the neutral prong? It's pretty thick. I don't have access to my Sawzall. I can try to go to the auto zone down the street tomorrow and see if they have anything strong enough. My resources are limited, but any suggestions are much appreciated.