Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla S - can I use this cable for charging using Dryer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I just bought a 14-30P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter Cord, 30 AMP Dryer. Instead, can I buy the above cable to charge my car from Dryer out till I get garage unit installed?
It should work, assuming your dryer uses a 14-30 outlet (instead of 10-30).

There are devices that allow you to share your dryer outlet (providing power to only the car or the dryer) if you didn't want to repeatedly plug/unplug the car and dryer.

Reactions: mswlogo and IdaX
Yes, my Dyer is 14-30 and the charger I got for Tesla seems to be 14-50. So instead of getting a converter was thinking to get above extension cable.

Converter I ordered: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09V9ZP2X2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Would this work: Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50 extension cord for EV, with folding handles, 20 ft. – EVSE Adapters

This would be a better solution if correct. From the pictures, extension cable is missing one the pin (not sure what its called), was wondering if its fits in 14-30 outlet and I can use Tesla provided cable.

Why would the 14-50 extension solve your problem with a 14-30 outlet?

You really should not be using a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter. It’s dangerous. Your depending on setting the car to low current.

You could set it wrong like 30A and coon the wires. Car can reset to max rather unexpectedly.

Use a 120V outlet until you get things properly wired.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
As others have said, the main issue is the current draw through a dryer plug. I used a dryer plug for 2 years on my first Model s before getting a wall charger. If you use an extension cord/adapter, the Tesla charger will not "know" you are on a 30 amp circuit. The Max continuous you would need to set in the car from the dryer should be no more than 24 amps. If set to 24 amps it should be "safe-ish" for short term use. The 14-50 plug will assume 50 amp breaker and try to pull 32-40 amps by default based on version of your charger. Definitely enough to burn wires and cause issues. I hope this helps...

I just bought a 14-30P to 14-50R EV Charger Adapter Cord, 30 AMP Dryer. Instead, can I buy the above cable to charge my car from Dryer out till I get garage unit installed?
Yes. I've done the same at AirBnB's.

REMEMBER TO SET YOUR CURRENT/AMPERAGE TO 24A BEFORE YOU PLUG IT IN.

1665445384611.png
1665445390740.png
1665445395050.png
1665445399770.png
1665445403304.png
1665445407409.png
1665445413283.png
1665445420544.png

Last edited:
And THAT is the problem. Relying on memory to prevent you from burning your your house down is usually considered a bad idea.
Current/amperage limit is saved on GPS coordinates. In theory, when coming back to the same GPS coordinates, it’ll use the custom current/amperage limit. But yes, I usually verify before plugging in at an Airbnb. It’s not too disruptive.

Last edited:
Why not buy an extension cord for a 14-30 and then buy a Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter? The cord would be cheaper since the wires would not need to carry 50A, and the adapter would ensure you're only drawing 24A. The adapter may come in handy, or will at least be easy to sell to someone here.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Why not buy an extension cord for a 14-30 and then buy a Tesla 14-30 UMC adapter? The cord would be cheaper since the wires would not need to carry 50A, and the adapter would ensure you're only drawing 24A. The adapter may come in handy, or will at least be easy to sell to someone here.
Or use the 14-50 cord. Adapt it down to 14-30 on the end and use 14-30 adapter. Heavier gauge is always a good thing. Still not recommended for long term use.

Hard wired is always the best way to go.

Current/amperage limit is saved on GPS coordinates. In theory, when coming back to the same GPS coordinates, it’ll use the custom current/amperage limit. But yes, I usually verify before plugging in at an Airbnb. It’s not too disruptive.
Yeah my car isn’t suppose to auto lock at home based on GPS either. It was locking for a month. Now working again.

It’s not a good idea to depend on GPS as to if your house burns down or not. Yes it will will work 99.9% of the time. It’s that damn .1% that could cause serious harm.

The correct Adapter is not guaranteed to fault either but the odds of it pulling more current than it should are probably more like 0.000000001%

And depending on humans to verify it even Starts right every time is at best a failure rate of 1%

I get updates all the time that magically reset things and settings.

Yeah my car isn’t suppose to auto lock at home based on GPS either. It was locking for a month. Now working again.

It’s not a good idea to depend on GPS as to if your house burns down or not. Yes it will will work 99.9% of the time. It’s that damn .1% that could cause serious harm.

The correct Adapter is not guaranteed to fault either but the odds of it pulling more current than it should are probably more like 0.000000001%

And depending on humans to verify it even Starts right every time is at best a failure rate of 1%

I get updates all the time that magically reset things and settings.
Also, the extension cord is 6 AWG so it’s rated for 50A. The difference is that the neutral prong is chopped off to allow it be plugged into a dryer plug.

Let’s say you accidentally forget to set your limit to 24A. You’ll just trip the breaker. That’s the entire point of the breaker.

The new Gen 2 adaptor won't fit I think. I would need an small attachment for 14-30 for older cable. Does tesla sells those? Am I missing something

Look like I got Gen 1 mobile cable and would be good to have a extension to run from dryer to garage. It comes with 14-50 and regular out attachment:

Like: Tesla Model S 3 X Y OEM Mobile Charger Gen 1 240V 240 40amp NEMA 14-50 5-15 | eBay

I need suggestion, how to use Dryer outlet which is 14-30 with extension cable?
14-30 and 14-50 are "same" receptacle but the neutral is shaped different. Obviously, the current/amperage limits are different (30 vs 50). By chopping off the neutral prong on a NEMA 14-50, you can also use it for a 14-30. The 14-50 (50A) is 6 AWG. The lower the AWG, the bigger/heavier/inflexible it is, and the safer it is. So 6 AWG can be safely used for 50A as well as 30A.

1665526941459.png

Also as a suggestion: when plugging higher voltage (240V) in for first time (at home or at an Airbnb), I like to feel the plastic/insulation of the receptacle (outlet), plug, extension cords, etc... It should not be hot-hot. It should be room temp or very slightly warm. The EVSE (charger) and cord can be warm/hot; I think that's normal.

Hot means something is loose (not screwed down tight), overloaded, can trip, wire gauge (diameter) too small, and/or can cause fires. Usually, where it's hot is where the problem is at. For example, my home builder didn't crank down the wires leading into the 50A breaker. It was loose and frequently tripped. It hit like 140F+ (IR temp gun) and tripped.

Also, when I did this for the first time at an Airbnb, I dialed the current down super low (i.e. 240V, 12A). And when things looked normal, I cranked up to 24A. And I feel the extension cables, plug, and receptacle for abnormal heat.

(I'm not an electrician. Just slightly handy.)

Last edited:
I needed to extend farther and wanted a lighter cord for travel. Those 6 awg wires are heavy. I also didn't want a cord with a useless neutral. So I got this:

and a 14-30 adapter like this:

and the Tesla 10-30 UMC plug:

So far, so good. Technically the adapter isn't right, so you should make a custom 14-30 to 10-30 adapter that connects ground instead of neutral to the ground pin on the UMC. But, there's really no difference unless you plug into a 14-30 outlet fed from a subpanel, rather than the main breaker panel.