TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Charging in Provincetown, the dangers explained

Discussion in 'New England' started by RDoc, Aug 30, 2013.

1. RDoc

RDoc S85D

We were recently in Provincetown, and as always I was asking about future prospects for EV charging, this time at the Duarte Motors lot where we normally park. The guy who seemed to be in charge explained to me with some delight exactly why they would never install EV charging at the lot. Here's the explanation:

There would have to be a high voltage line on it's own pole put into the lot to support the chargers. In the event someone hit the pole, or there were a storm that knocked it down, the high voltage would fry everyone in or near the lot, so obviously it's much too dangerous.

So there you have it, a well thought out reason for not installing EV charging at public parking lots.

2. Zextraterrestrial

wow

(why not run conduit?)

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

It's hard to get 1.21 "Jigga"watts from a conduit.

4. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Where do people get these ideas???

5. RDoc

RDoc S85D

Are you suggesting conduit for the "juice". In the event of a rupture, wouldn't people drown? Imagine drowning in fruit juice!!

6. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

Well, I guess electricity is much too dangerous, we should all go back to oil lamps :)
    That exact same argument applies to telephone poles in residential neighborhoods as well, so I guess they need to remove all of those dangerous poles and high voltage lines. The excuses are getting very creative these days. Of course we all know how much safer gasoline is, nothing can go wrong with that safe fuel :) you should mention all if the gasoline cars fuel tanks are 100 times more dangerous, therefore they should ban all gasoline cars from the parking lot, each one is a mini bomb, ready to explode at any time :) in addition, in the event of a flood, the gasoline in the tanks could escape and cause a big pollution problem, therefore gasoline cars absolutely must be banned, using the same public safety hazard arguments