Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging iPhone 14 Pro Max with case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
I recall reading of some of the challenges with regards to charging the bigger iPhone. I had to place the phone upside and slide it around slightly to find the sweet spot where it would charge. Does anyone have other solutions, where we can charge it right-side-up? By that I mean without additional components, etc. Is the a way to move the q-charger behind the panel? Thank you.

What case do you have on your iPhone? Does wireless charging work if you remove the case? I no longer have a case on my iPhone because it wouldn't allow wireless charging to work on a number of mats/stands. You may just need to give up your case if you want to be able to wirelessly charge your phone.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
My 14 pro max will initiate charging but will often charge VERY slow (1-2%) or not at all during my 30-40 min drive home. On rare occasion I get like 6-8% on the same drive.

My regular sized 14 charged faster (or maybe because it just had a smaller battery) but it would get VERY warm.

Not sure what phones Tesla tested (if any) when designing the wireless chargers or how they arranged the coils but they don’t seem ideal for current iPhone sizes.

I’m half tempted to buy a spare charging pad to tear apart and put a MagSafe charger behind it instead.

My 14 pro max will initiate charging but will often charge VERY slow (1-2%) or not at all during my 30-40 min drive home. On rare occasion I get like 6-8% on the same drive.

My regular sized 14 charged faster (or maybe because it just had a smaller battery) but it would get VERY warm.

Not sure what phones Tesla tested (if any) when designing the wireless chargers or how they arranged the coils but they don’t seem ideal for current iPhone sizes.

I’m half tempted to buy a spare charging pad to tear apart and put a MagSafe charger behind it instead.
Yes, I failed to mention the speed isn't great on the iPhone when I wireless charge in the Tesla. Not as slow as yours but not great. My Pixel charges much better but I assume apple deprecates some functions of their (not yours) iPhone when not using an apple charger.

I might have figured why the newer iPhones have an issue with the charging mat... it is the camera lenses on the phone. If you notice, the camera lenses stick out, and do not create a flush flat surface when placed on top of the charging mat. I noticed this when my daughter placed her older iPhone, with the camera lens flush to the phone's body, and it immediately started charging. Whereas when I put my iPhone 13 Pro Max on the charging pad, it does take some time for the charge to start, even without the extremely thin case that I use.

I might have figured why the newer iPhones have an issue with the charging mat... it is the camera lenses on the phone. If you notice, the camera lenses stick out, and do not create a flush flat surface when placed on top of the charging mat. I noticed this when my daughter placed her older iPhone, with the camera lens flush to the phone's body, and it immediately started charging. Whereas when I put my iPhone 13 Pro Max on the charging pad, it does take some time for the charge to start, even without the extremely thin case that I use.
Old thread I know. First iPhone (max 15 pro) and it doesn’t charge with any case

Guys
Only solutions are wired charging or better
Magbak magsafe display mount charger
Charges at 10 watts Qi
The Tesla charging pad is 5 watts
Depending the apps running in foreground and background, Waze, music or video streaming
The iPhone charging via 5 watt pad won’t keep up
I use the iPhone 14 pro max streaming Sirius XM and running Waze and the Magbak kept things charged