Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys new here and learning a lot of info. So here's the issue I'm having, I have a level 2 charger at work so do most of my charging there and have no issues. After the last software update a few days ago my 110v charger at home keeps on disconnecting and wouldn't turn on again automatically. On the app I only see the disconnect unlock charge port option, any thoughts? On a side note it is getting colder in Toronto so could it be because of the cold?

Attachments

• IMG_0102.png
    IMG_0102.png
    382 KB · Views: 51
Yes using the tesla charger, it randomly disconnected a couple times at night, it started charging again but stopped later.
Could be lots of things. For example, there could be a voltage sag at night or maybe the connector is overheating. You should try to isolate the issue as being the connector or a household electrical issue. If you have access to a 120V outlet at work give that a try and see what happens.

Last edited:
Can you share the year of your car and type? I surmised you are using a Tesla mobile charger. Depending on the model, the wall plug end comes out for storage. Have you tried re-putting it in again? Have you tried a different plug? It sounds like your car charges properly at work, but not off your mobile charger. You should try and debug all the possibilities. If the Tesla mobile charge is flakey, Tesla might be able to help.

The mobile connector has a series of LEDs that display its status. What do they show when you are having this issue? If it senses and error, it should blink out an error code. If the mobile connector loses power, none of the LEDs will be on.

The mobile connector manual lists the error codes.

Can you share the year of your car and type? I surmised you are using a Tesla mobile charger. Depending on the model, the wall plug end comes out for storage. Have you tried re-putting it in again? Have you tried a different plug? It sounds like your car charges properly at work, but not off your mobile charger. You should try and debug all the possibilities. If the Tesla mobile charge is flakey, Tesla might be able to help.
2023 model y

So I tried plugging it out and then a few times but nothing. on the screen it says charger not recognized. The light is stable green on the wall connector.
The stable green light indicates that the MC is happy with the power it is receiving and the error message would indicate a handshaking issue between the car and the MC. The question is where the problem lies.

I suggest either trying to charge a different Tesla with your MC or charge your car from a different MC.

Do you know someone else with a Tesla that you can try your mobile connector on? If both cars experience the same issue, then that would isolate it to the mobile connector. Maybe a bad communication pin?
No not nearby at least, called up tesla and they said to bring both the charger and the car in and they'll check it out. If the charger needs to be replaced they'll replace it. Not sure if the will but worth a shot.

Reactions: ATPMSD
So took the car to tesla today and after a while of testing and using my charger they determined it's a firmware issue 🤦🏻‍♂️. Not sure how to fix that apparently wait for the update..... I'm glad I can charge at work no problem but if I was exclusively charging at home on this charger I would've been screwed...

So took the car to tesla today and after a while of testing and using my charger they determined it's a firmware issue 🤦🏻‍♂️. Not sure how to fix that apparently wait for the update..... I'm glad I can charge at work no problem but if I was exclusively charging at home on this charger I would've been screwed...
After reading this, I got a little concerned since I am going to Terlingua, TX soon in my M3LR and using the mobile connector is critical to getting back! So, I tested my mobile connector with the M3LR (2023.27.7) as well as my MYSR (2023.32.9) to make sure it works. I even connected to 120V, like you.

Both cars initiated charging without issue. I didn't charge more than 30 seconds since I was connected through a long extension cord. But both cars obviously recognized the mobile connector.

If this is a firmware version issue, I would expect the message board would be screaming withh others having the same problem. Lots of people use the mobile connector for daily charging. What firmware version do you have?

Unlikely - exactly how did they come to that conclusion? Did they test both your mobile connector and a 2nd one to confirm this as a firmware issue with the car? Waiting around for an update is nonsense. I would see if you can find someone with a mobile connector and try using theirs.

I agree a lot of people would be having this issue, I don't get how the charger works there but not at my house 😭 maybe because it's a 120v vs a 110v at my house? I'll have to try it out at a friend's house and see what happens. Did super charging today no issue, went to a charge point charger in the mall and no issue, works fine. My guess is the 110v is the issue which is stupid but the only thing that makes sense. I even tried a different plug at my house and the same result. It's so frustrating 😭

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Omg I figured it out. Found a reddit with someone having a similar issue, so when I took the car to tesla when they put it service mode it disables mobile access, the reddit post mentioned to do this and as soon as I disabled mobile access it started working!!! So not sure what app is doing this because i didn't authorize any app so kinda freaked out about that. Going to change my password and see if this happens again, so definitely not a firmware issue 🤣

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD
Omg I figured it out. Found a reddit with someone having a similar issue, so when I took the car to tesla when they put it service mode it disables mobile access, the reddit post mentioned to do this and as soon as I disabled mobile access it started working!!! So not sure what app is doing this because i didn't authorize any app so kinda freaked out about that. Going to change my password and see if this happens again, so definitely not a firmware issue 🤣
The Tesla app on your phone relies on mobile access to function. But, it's hard to see how this would cause the car to not recognize the MC.

Very strange, but I will keep this in mind should I ever run into an issue using my MC.

So not sure what app is doing this because i didn't authorize any app so kinda freaked out about that. Going to change my password and see if this happens again, so definitely not a firmware issue 🤣

Is "I didnt authorize any app" actually "I never, at any time, ever, authorized any app, website, or ANY other thing that is supposed to optimize charging, by charging green, etc."?

I have seen several different threads here now in various subforums on people forgetting that they "tried optiwatt but deleted it after an hour" or stuff like that.

In any case, turning off mobile access and having it work means that something is stopping your car from charging, and its likely something that is trying to optimize charging. If you never (even once) authorized anything else to access your car, then you should check to ensure you dont have scheduled departure set or anything like that in the tesla app.