Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging locked at 32/48A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model S LR
Tesla Wall Connector Gen3 purchased Feb 2021 (and only just now getting around to installing it)
60A breaker (Square-D)
150A home service
Southpoint 6-3 NMW/G wire, ~8 ft run

Commissioning worked fine, I selected USA -> 60A breaker

Car claims a "grid" problem and locks the charge amperage to 32A.

Can someone here help or direct me to solutions?

Just switched around my search terms and found this result

I now assume this is what is happening to me.

2 new connectors? And the ground is?

What is voltage at the end of connection to wall connector when it's charging?
A-B​
A to Gnd​
B to Gnd​
Have you confirmed it's all tight?
Is the breaker rated for 75C or greater?
Have you tried this when there is no appreciable load in your home?

I ran into something like this charging an S from a portable generator. Thing would not take more than 30 amps. Generator will, and has, delivered 42 continuous through a low distortion head. Never did know why. I assumed the Tesla didn't like the idle down circuit and was seeing a brief voltage sag as the generator spun up. Is why I wonder about your voltages...

2 new connectors? And the ground is?

What is voltage at the end of connection to wall connector when it's charging?
A-B​
A to Gnd​
B to Gnd​
Have you confirmed it's all tight?
Is the breaker rated for 75C or greater?
Have you tried this when there is no appreciable load in your home?

I ran into something like this charging an S from a portable generator. Thing would not take more than 30 amps. Generator will, and has, delivered 42 continuous through a low distortion head. Never did know why. I assumed the Tesla didn't like the idle down circuit and was seeing a brief voltage sag as the generator spun up. Is why I wonder about your voltages...
Sorry about confusion. After tearing out the ROMEX, I removed the outer jacket and retained the white sleeved wire from the 6/3 as my ground. I purchased 4 gauge THHN from HD today as well as a 3/4dia x 6' flexible conduit run kit.

Everything very tight.

Breaker is as found at Home Depot: Square D QO 60 Amp 2-Pole Circuit Breaker(QO260CP) QO260CP - The Home Depot
A comment indicates 75C rated.

I can turn everything in the home off and test tomorrow.

Can I read the Voltages from the HPWC service screen on my phone after initiating a charge? I haven't tried that.

I read through the thread linked. I should try to visit the service center and see if I can get more than 32A.

Last edited:
The other thing I am thinking if one of the lines in your onboard charger in the car is failed. There are 3x16A @ 240V that handle the AC/DC conversion within the PCS, I believe. That would be worst case and would need to find another known working 48amp charger to isolate issue.