Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging MDX at 100 at home charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if I will charge my MDX 2023 at home if it affects for life of the battery? Some told that MDX has long lasting and very expensieve Panasonic batteries with a lot of cobalt inside that prevent them of degrading. Thus may be to charge at 100% will not affect at all to it?

100% is fine just before a trip but for best battery health charge to the lowest number you need.

For 100 mile trip you shouldn’t even need 100% charge.

For normal daily use charge to anywhere from 50-90%. Lower the better for the battery.
Thanks, will try to keep it between 50% to 80%. The idea was to charge in free charges or at home at maximum to skip expensive Tesla Superchargers or alternative pay chargers for longer trips.

I wonder if I will charge my MDX 2023 at home if it affects for life of the battery? Some told that MDX has long lasting and very expensieve Panasonic batteries with a lot of cobalt inside that prevent them of degrading. Thus may be to charge at 100% will not affect at all to it?
Same situation here. Concluded from a graphic @ucmndd shared, see below, leaving batteries in a higher state of charge - i.e. above 50% - when it is also hot outside (I'm OR/AZ/NV/CO/TX/FL based...so yeah, hot in the summer) resulted in increased degradation.

1687016652138.png

@WonKim - suggest you check out this thread if you want more detailed info: Do lower-power Supercharger locations reduce strain on the battery pack?

...For normal daily use charge to anywhere from 50-90%. Lower the better for the battery.
That was my thinking as well; 30% covers my daily driving but concluded operating in the 20% - 50% range to be less stressful on the battery than 60%-90%. Currently charge when I approach 20% with a limit of 50%, unless driving long distances, in which case I go to 100% but start driving immediately when I get to a full pack.

Thanks, will try to keep it between 50% to 80%. The idea was to charge in free charges or at home at maximum to skip expensive Tesla Superchargers or alternative pay chargers for longer trips.
I did this with my 2017 S75D [charge to ~86% and would get down to ~35%]; ~215k miles into that pack my degradation was ~11% - expected and inline with what Tesla, TMC, and www.teslafi.com fleet users reported.

For my X I'm opting to float between 20%-50% vs 50%-80% - see my prior post and linked thread for the details - and while I do track data via TeslaFi, I don't (and probably won't) have any meaningful data to share for at least a year or so.

A lot might be luck of the draw in getting a well-balanced pack. My model s 85 has 270,000 mi on it now, original battery. We supercharged it 4 to 5 times a week for a few years there, although usually at an urban supercharger (lower speed) and I've driven it all over the country. I do generally, for day-to-day use, set it to 74%. (That's the speed that used to keep the cooling fan off.) But we do charge it to 100% anytime we take a trip,, and used to do that two or three times a week. So, Tesla's battery management system is quite good. I think you're going to get the most use out of the battery you can, as long as you keep the charge normally between 20 and 80 except for short durations.

Model X Long Rage. Will be fine if I charge then at 90-95%? Will be better If I charge at 100% and will go immediately for a short 100 miles trip?
The abbreviation would be MX then, not MDX like an Acura MDX. Also your signature says you have a Plaid.

Charging to a certain percentage is purely your discretion. I prefer charging to 100% and preheat the battery for Ludicrous+ because I bought a performance to go fast, not worry about range. Assuming you have a home charger, charge to whatever you need for the day. The GF could charge to only 50% and she'd still be completely fine. Really, your charging limit is your choice based on needs, not anyone elses.

Reactions: WonKim